Author Topic: ubuntu 20.04 - why is it that i cannot create new folder or paste files on other  (Read 1046 times)

Offline ris

how do i grant writing permissions to my other drives?  only my main drive gives write access.  my main drive has read and write access but my other 5 drives only have read access.  im accessing the drives via files app in ubuntu.  anybody here know what im doing wrong?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Online lahar

What is the filesystem of the other drives?

Offline Sephiroth

i had the same problem with Fedora and someone told me the solution is unmount the drive first then type in the terminal

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

where XY is the designation of the drive.

worked for me but we may need confirmation here that it also works for Ubuntu.

did you remove the other drives while installing like I did?

Offline ris

What is the filesystem of the other drives?

ntfs.  for windows.  im planning to dual boot windows 10 and ubuntu.  cause windows recently wouldnt boot so i installed ubuntu just to be able to access my files

Offline ris

i had the same problem with Fedora and someone told me the solution is unmount the drive first then type in the terminal

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

yup.  same.  i did not attach the other drives when i was installing ubuntu

Offline Sephiroth

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

the problem seems to happen in those cases. so did you try the fix?

Offline ris

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

tried it and it fixed the problem.  thanks so much for this!  its quite annoying that i cannot find this fix via google.  buti nalang talaga may ppc na pwede magtanong.  hehehe

Offline Sephiroth

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

tried it and it fixed the problem.  thanks so much for this!  its quite annoying that i cannot find this fix via google.  buti nalang talaga may ppc na pwede magtanong.  hehehe
you're welcome!

i learned of the solution when i asked in the Fedora subreddit. sometimes, the solutions to Linux problems can be obscure indeed.

Offline ris

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

you're welcome!

i learned of the solution when i asked in the Fedora subreddit. sometimes, the solutions to Linux problems can be obscure indeed.

seems i will be going back to windows.  lolz!  i think windows being the main drive would be better for me.  im getting frustrated on setting up ubuntu now.  planning on dual boot and having ubuntu as my main OS but it seems windows 10 will be my main OS while ubuntu would be the backup now...

Offline Sephiroth

ano pa ba problem na naencounter mo?

Offline ris

yung printer ko di ko mapagana ng maayos.  naka long bond paper kasi ako.  8.5 x 13 ang size nung papel eh wala naman ganun option sa printer.  tapos mali mali pa lumalabas na printout ko. 

di ko din mapagana wine kaya di ko alam kung makaka laro ako nung steam games sa ubuntu

tapos di ko pa nasusubukan yung libreoffice kung okay ba sya.  parang mas maganda parin MS office. 

di ko pa sure kung may ma encounter pa akong ibang problema.  meron pa akong mga custom settings na nagagawa ko ng maayos sa windows pero di ko magawa sa ubuntu

Online lahar

Linux, even Ubuntu still needs work in terms of ease of use. Its a lot better now than 10 even 5 years ago, but still needs catching up to Windows. I got Ubuntu 20.04 running in my old Hackintosh rig from 9 years ago. Also took some work how to get my Canon printer to work properly (it "works" right away but left out some features that had to be customized via the command line). HP scanner worked right off the bat though. My Grade 2 son actually got his first taste of computers on it during the lockdown.

LibreOffice is a good alternative to MS Office. You can download a version for Windows. Typed about half my thesis and dissertation on it.

Offline Sephiroth

yung printer ko di ko mapagana ng maayos.  naka long bond paper kasi ako.  8.5 x 13 ang size nung papel eh wala naman ganun option sa printer.  tapos mali mali pa lumalabas na printout ko. 

di ko din mapagana wine kaya di ko alam kung makaka laro ako nung steam games sa ubuntu

tapos di ko pa nasusubukan yung libreoffice kung okay ba sya.  parang mas maganda parin MS office. 

di ko pa sure kung may ma encounter pa akong ibang problema.  meron pa akong mga custom settings na nagagawa ko ng maayos sa windows pero di ko magawa sa ubuntu
yung orinter problem tingin ko ang pinakamalala. pero sana may fix.

may native Linux games sa Steam, check mo games mo. Civ V at Pillars of Eternity na nilalaro ko meron native sa Linux sa Steam. mas ok para sa akin maglaro sa Linux kasi mas sharp ang graphics at mas maganda audio sa case ko. Kung di native sa Linux baka pwede mag run sa Proton ng Steam.

sa Google Docs na ako nagtytype ngayon pero di naman kailangan complicated yung ginagawa ko kaya ok lang.

pero yung printer problem talaga ang dahilan kung bakit kailangan mo mag Windows.

tama si lahar. need pa improve ng Linux ease of use. eh yung magdownload at magpalit lang ng themes kailangan pa ng video guide eh lol.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
IMO if you need to print documents you really need a Windows partition or VM with real MS Office, otherwise rendering to print is going to fuck up your day.

I tried deploying Linux to an organization some time ago (to save on licensing costs) and it mostly worked, until someone needed to print something or a small issue comes up that needs troubleshooting. People end up needing to call I.T. for almost every little thing whereas a little help from more tech-savvy officemate would get most problems sorted out in a Windows org.

Eventually they decided to just bite the bullet and get Windows/Office licenses for everyone.
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

Well, at least after being stuck on 1% desktop share for decades it's now at nearly 2% :lol:

Maybe in time ( a long long time), desktop Linux will get adequate support and more presence.

Offline ris

if people keep encountering these problems that i also encounter, i dont think they would get that much market share.  i would consider myself a bit of an advanced user and i am having difficulty navigating around the OS.  im okay with using terminal but using the sudo command all the time is very cumbersome

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
^ lol run bash as root. just be sure to close it afterwards.
fhtagn

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Well, at least after being stuck on 1% desktop share for decades it's now at nearly 2% :lol:

Maybe in time ( a long long time), desktop Linux will get adequate support and more presence.

chromeos even took over mac, although chromeos uses Linux, many don't consider it as a real Linux distro due to a lot of restrictions imposed.

I've been using Linux since 1998 (started with Redhat 5.2), and back then (IMHO), it had a greater chance of success being on the desktop since Windows is not mature enough (and it had a lot, really a lot, of problems), but today, even my dad successfully fixed a windows10 installation (due to a virus, and due to the pandemic I can't really travel to his place), I don't think I can say the same when he was using any Linux distro and got into a problem as simple as writing data to an external drive formatted with NTFS. so it will take a long time, (maybe never) for any GNU/Linux distro to be a mainstream desktop alternative.
jeremypv

Offline Sephiroth

Who knows maybe Microsoft might consider making their own flavor of Linux and make applications for it. :lol:

Offline motion55

^^^I've installed Ubuntu under WSL2 in Windows 10. Ubuntu doesn't come with a GUI as installed from the Microsoft Store but I have been able to install the GUI using X-RDP. There are instructions on the web and also from Youtube.

The remote desktop isn't as fast as a native display but I use it to test some Linux apps.
"Set your mind free!"