Author Topic: Earthquake!!!  (Read 44851 times)

Offline JM

Re: Earthquake!!!
« Reply #340 on: September 27, 2021, 01:12:53 PM »
Got the google alert 30 seconds before it hit NCR. For some reason I was looking at buildings collapsing on YT when the alert came. That didn't help at all....

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #341 on: September 27, 2021, 08:57:43 PM »
Ang haba nun! Medyo malakas din, kinabahan ako.

Some areas and/or specific building heights more affected it seems. Honestly it felt pretty weak for me, but a friend said the shaking was so strong it felt like magnitude 8 at their place. He went out to inspect his house at like 1:20am.
fhtagn

Online lahar

« Reply #342 on: September 28, 2021, 06:58:10 AM »
Ang haba nun! Medyo malakas din, kinabahan ako.

Some areas and/or specific building heights more affected it seems. Honestly it felt pretty weak for me, but a friend said the shaking was so strong it felt like magnitude 8 at their place. He went out to inspect his house at like 1:20am.

It depends on the type of soil/rocks in your area. The shaking can be attenuated or increased. For civil engineers, you can download the Philippine Earthquake Model below, you just have to fill out the form for statistics purposes.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdIHg3AdCut47En_g_0uBNtu0XtqlbRD9VRerC1QnV-8KSmBg/viewform

Also the taller the building, the more intense the swaying/shaking, especially in the upper floors. Just like a vibrating stick, the opposite end moves stronger than the rest.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2021, 12:49:52 PM »
I remember watching something before that said for buildings the effect can vary greatly depending on the relationship between the frequency/periodicity of the earthquake and the building's height.

I've probably linked it here or in one of the other earthquake threads but can't be bothered to dig right now.
fhtagn

Offline JM

« Reply #344 on: October 01, 2021, 11:31:51 AM »
Yeah structures will have their resting frequency. If the earthquake matches the structure then it could amplify the effect. Thats the reason why there are guidelines for soldiers not to march in cadence when crossing bridges etc.

Online lahar

« Reply #345 on: October 01, 2021, 12:40:00 PM »
I remember watching something before that said for buildings the effect can vary greatly depending on the relationship between the frequency/periodicity of the earthquake and the building's height.

I've probably linked it here or in one of the other earthquake threads but can't be bothered to dig right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIqV95gIf9o

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #346 on: October 04, 2021, 09:42:44 AM »
bakit parang daming lindol recently sa mindoro?

Online lahar

« Reply #347 on: October 04, 2021, 10:39:40 AM »