Author Topic: pixel format for monitor  (Read 365 times)

Online ris

pixel format for monitor
« on: December 19, 2017, 01:19:38 AM »
just noticed this option in radeon settings where i could change it to rgb or ycbcr.  any suggestions on how to set this up?  i googled it and people seem to prefer rgb(full) but i noticed that the colors seem overpowering in that option wherein the lighter colored/highlighted parts could barely be seen anymore.  naka default sakin na ycbcr.  and it seems to be good that way, i was just wondering if any of you have suggestions on what to do with this setting?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Re: pixel format for monitor
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:39:39 AM »
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Online splerdu

• Veterans
Re: pixel format for monitor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:49:16 AM »
RGB is the most accurate. Data-wise it's equivalent to YCbCr 4:4:4, but it will always give you full dynamic range.

YCbCr is how composite video works. Instead of sending complete Red/Green/Blue values, the content gets encoded into Y - luma/brightness, Cb - difference between Y and blue, Cr - difference between Y and red. Green isn't sent as it can be derived.

The main reason to use YCbCr is if you're bandwidth limited. Say you have a 4k 144Hz monitor: pushing that many pixels in RGB or 4:4:4 mode will require 31.3Gb/s, but Displayport 1.4 only has 25.92Gb/s and thus normally won't support 4k @ 144Hz, but you can get it to work at that resolution by using YCbCr 4:2:0 for a bit of color compression/chroma subsampling.
fhtagn