Author Topic: Why The Philippines Is Screwed Up  (Read 6675 times)

Offline goma

• Use only as prescribed..
Why The Philippines Is Screwed Up
« on: March 28, 2006, 04:17:44 PM »
After considering what’s been happening to the country since the optimistic days of EDSA 1, it has occurred to me that most of the country’s current problems can be traced to 3 major causes, all of which stem from the failure to follow up on the opportunities presented by EDSA 1:

The Marcosian network of corruption and influence was not dismantled – All administrations after Marcos owed its existence, one way or another, to these families. It would have been ideal to eradicate these feudal clans when Marcos was deposed, as it’s done in revolts in other nations. Instead of dying out, these clans got their patriarchs and members elected to the newly restored Senate and Congress. This filthy system has maintained its grip on power by refusing to set limits on terms of office and feeding and cultivating the culture of corruption that has destroyed the country. These clans prefer to keep this system of influence and corruption in place simply because it works very, very well for them. This same system protects the Marcos family from prosecution.

The poor quality of education – Among the masses, most of those who reached voting age after 1986 probably hardly know what Senators are for and the role of Congress in a democratic republic. Thus the masses elect actors, infamous traditional politicians and basketball players to the Senate and help retain the very same influential regional clans that prospered under Marcos in Congress. The election of the most unsuitable people to the Senate set the stage for the next debacle.

The failure of the Senate – Erap Estrada was clearly elected as president. This fact cannot be contested. One of the foundations of a democracy is the free selection of its leaders and this was demonstrated by the election of Erap. Whether it was a wise or foolish choice can be argued and can be blamed on the previous aspect, substandard education for the Filipino masses. However a poor choice of President is counterbalanced by the power of the Senate to impeach him or her if probable cause is presented. The revelation that some of the Senators during the Erap impeachment in fact received “balato” from Erap and that some of them were clearly out to derail the impeachment, starting at the Congressional level, already showed the direction of the impeachment proceedings. Ideally, the Senate (if its member were chosen wisely) should have opened the mysterious envelope and went ahead and impeached Erap. Then the unconstitutional removal of Erap, called EDSA 2, would not have occurred and lead to our current state of political instability. A properly conducted impeachment would have made GMA’s ascendance to the position fully legitimate and constitutional.

As it stands, unconstitutional means have become the increasingly popular method by which we change presidents, beginning with EDSA 2. GMA worsened the political crisis by running for the position and “winning” under a cloud of doubt and mistrust.

(EDSA 1’s removal of Marcos was not unconstitutional because he was already overstaying as president, backed up by an unlawful constitution that was custom-made to legitimize his clearly illegitimate presidency)

Offline lahar

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 04:22:27 PM »
The poor quality of education – Among the masses, most of those who reached voting age after 1986 probably hardly know what Senators are for and the role of Congress in a democratic republic. Thus the masses elect actors, infamous traditional politicians and basketball players to the Senate and help retain the very same influential regional clans that prospered under Marcos in Congress. The election of the most unsuitable people to the Senate set the stage for the next debacle.

I'm not sure about this one. IIRC, the academe was actually behind Erap back in 1998.

Offline goma

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 04:32:29 PM »

I'm not sure about this one. IIRC, the academe was actually behind Erap back in 1998.
I was talking about the poor quality of education impacting in the masses' ability to elect the right people to the senate and congress.  

Offline lahar

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 04:36:42 PM »

I was talking about the poor quality of education impacting in the masses' ability to elect the right people to the senate and congress.
So the president is exempted? Is that what you're saying?

Offline idolkosimanoy

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 04:42:48 PM »
as long as we have a president elected on a plurality vote we will always be on unstable grounds.  

question:  how do you educate the masses on voting for the proper candidate?  from what i observed since the 1992 election the voting populace are a mixed lot.  even the "supposedly" educated class are behind some dubious candidates (just take a look at the last presidential election).  
"West travelling East, seeking that of which was lost!" - A Widow's Son

Offline goma

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 04:47:39 PM »

exempted for being chosen wisely? of course not. choosing the right person for president is important.

However, the president needs a check and balance, a body to oversee his or her actions. Choosing the wrong representatives ruins this system and does not allow for proper impeachment, whether it be to remove GMA or Erap.

It doesn't matter if we shift to parliamentary or use the current system. Neither will work in the best interest of the people if we keep electing the same trash to the same positions.  

Offline idolkosimanoy

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 04:50:27 PM »
It doesn't matter if we shift to parliamentary or use the current system. Neither will work in the best interest of the people if we keep electing the same trash to the same positions.
god save us all if we ever shifted to parliamentary form of governmen.  with the current crop of politicians elected right now, we are going straight to hell!
"West travelling East, seeking that of which was lost!" - A Widow's Son

Offline lahar

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 04:57:34 PM »

exempted for being chosen wisely? of course not. choosing the right person for president is important.

However, the president needs a check and balance, a body to oversee his or her actions. Choosing the wrong representatives ruins this system and does not allow for proper impeachment, whether it be to remove GMA or Erap.

Ok, limited lang pala ang rant mo to senators and congressmen. What I was pointing out was, even highly educated individuals would not necessarily support (percievably) capable candidates.

Offline jack

• Moderators
    • http://jack-jacob.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 04:58:50 PM »

I thought the academe was supporting Roco at the time?  

Offline lahar

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 05:07:21 PM »

I thought the academe was supporting Roco at the time?
Split yata. A tactic later used by GMA to scare voters into supporting her, otherwise FPJ "would win".

Offline goma

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 05:10:21 PM »
god save us all if we ever shifted to parliamentary form of governmen.  with the current crop of politicians elected right now, we are going straight to hell!
yup, we better stick our head between our knees and kiss our asses goodbye.  :-o

The failure to impeach Erap, which triggered EDSA 2, set off a chain of events and circumstances that have damaged our democratic institutions. We are not reaping the bitter harvest..

Offline pythonista

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2006, 05:15:40 PM »
Screw politics!  :wary:  

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2006, 05:28:27 PM »
Too many whiners, too few people doing anything about it themselves.
come on Toshi!

Offline piracy4ever

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »
why can't philippine politics be more mature like all the other 1st world countries?

they may have controversies but at least their country is not suffering.
PinoyPC | PEX | PiPho | DPP |  TripAdvisor | Javtalk HAHAHAHA Ü

Offline bodol

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2006, 05:42:33 PM »
I don't agree.
The Philippines is not screwed up.
Only the politicians are.

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2006, 05:48:17 PM »
why can't philippine politics be more mature like all the other 1st world countries?

they may have controversies but at least their country is not suffering.
We don't have 400 years of civil history of the USA and the 1000 years of the Brits.

Let's not even touch on Singapore or Malaysia, their rapid progress came at the price of civil liberties.

The political culture and attitudes of people contribute to everything.  It isn't just the politicians its the people too.
come on Toshi!

Offline piracy4ever

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2006, 05:51:48 PM »
but why have we become like this?

why don't present day filipinos have the discipline, diligence and nationalism of the koreans? the japanese? the americans? the singaporeans? the indians?

i've learned that most of our economic problems have been results of american economic/trade laws dating back to pre-WWII. if only they supported us just like what they did to japan after they surrendered.
PinoyPC | PEX | PiPho | DPP |  TripAdvisor | Javtalk HAHAHAHA Ü

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
Why?

Because our national identity is shattered.  Filipinos have a difficult time defining themselves other than highlighting how bad their lives are.

Historically we got screwed by 3 colonizers.  But really, how much more can we blame our past and use it as an excuse to perpetuate the inequity of the selfish?

Unlike Japan we were never an agressor in the the war, unlike South Korea we didn't have the north above our side of the 38th parallel.

come on Toshi!

Offline goma

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2006, 06:13:06 PM »
are you refering to me?

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2006, 07:04:38 PM »
are you refering to me?
Not particularly, but if you feel like you seem to be doing too little, you might well be as guilty.
come on Toshi!