Author Topic: Single Board Computer(SBC)  (Read 4677 times)

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
Single Board Computer(SBC)
« on: July 05, 2023, 09:41:35 AM »

With the advent of more powerful SBC's do you guys think the traditional desktop will "now" surely be obsolete? Even laptops are getting desktop performance compared to what we had a decade ago.

i think these two are leading it
https://www.morefineglobal.com/

https://store.minisforum.com/

my target for my last PC buy lol

...look behind me S B C   :lol:

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Re: Single Board Computer(SBC)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2023, 09:55:38 AM »
I hope I don't sound pedantic, but those are not SBCs, SBCs are more of Raspberry pi and the like, those are just small form factor PCs, i've been using an intel NUC since 4th gen, and currently have a 1L 6th gen HP 800G3 mini -- may it just happen to be picked up by your radar, but those SFFs have been around since a while back -- IIRC, the Zotac Desk Mini also have a DGPU along with a ryzen 1st gen, so it's already on par with a "regular"-sized desktop with 2-3L volume
jeremypv

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 10:05:20 AM »
Phoenix Point FTW!

The UM790 Pro looks good.

I guess the RAM being on a separate PCB is what disqualifies these (and NUCs) from being called SBCs? But if anything else residing on a second PCB disqualifies something from being an SBC, then a RasPi with eMMC storage isn't an SBC either.

https://www.makeuseof.com/5-best-x86-single-board-computers-in-2023/

There's at least one board here that uses socketed RAM. IMO the NUC and actually many SFF PCs can technically qualify as SBCs. I'm using a laptop right now that has everything soldered onto the motherboard (no RAM sockets). Going by the strict definition it is an SBC.
fhtagn

Offline motion55

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:09 AM »
I was looking for alternatives to the Raspberry Pi 4B. Local prices are 2X to even 5X the MSRP. The M stands for "mythical" at the moment. However, production is ramping up in the 2nd half of 2023 and there will be relief soon.

I have project requiring the Raspberry Pi. No, it's not a 3D printer. My plan is to use the compute module 4 (CM4) that will plug into a future custom designed I/O board. I ordered a BigTreeTech CB1 module which is almost pinout compatible to the CM4. Both boards can plug into a Pi4B adapter board. Speed is not a priority. It only needs to be compatible with the RP 40 pin I/O connector. Yesterday, I tried an old Raspberry Pi 2 and it works on the machine I am working on.

For quick delivery, I ordered from Lazada as AliExpress could take more than a month. BTW, I didn't have to wait until 7.7, selecting the "Buy Now" button will give the same discount. Paid thru GCash.

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/i3761900756-s19926568117.html
"Set your mind free!"

Offline wheelee

• Nobody's tomorrow is guaranteed
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2023, 11:21:59 AM »
I hope I don't sound pedantic, but those are not SBCs, SBCs are more of Raspberry pi and the like, those are just small form factor PCs, i've been using an intel NUC since 4th gen, and currently have a 1L 6th gen HP 800G3 mini -- may it just happen to be picked up by your radar, but those SFFs have been around since a while back -- IIRC, the Zotac Desk Mini also have a DGPU along with a ryzen 1st gen, so it's already on par with a "regular"-sized desktop with 2-3L volume

Oh OK, i'm new to this lol
when i searched for SBC's Bing gave me those links, yes iknow. google isn't working from where i am.
yes these should have been mini PC's then? & those others are NUC's like the RP.

Anyways I guess this will be my LAST build in my computing career, once i retire I'll just do some simple PC task or turn it into an HTPC or whatever.....

LAN PARTY anyone? :D

Offline nitsuj

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 06:33:06 AM »
That's a nice setup for classic games!

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 06:23:52 PM »
Odyssey x86J4125 v2

Dual 2.5GbE LAN!
fhtagn