Author Topic: Question about copying files over the network  (Read 1464 times)

Offline athlonFan

• Veterans
    • fyq's site
Question about copying files over the network
« on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:27 AM »
I am curious on how this copying files over network works exactly.

I have 2 NASes at home, connected to the same switch including my computer. The 2 NASes basically serve as backup, both are almost identical in content and previously, I just run SyncToy to synchronize the 2 NAS.

My question is: If I run synctoy from my computer to sync 2 NASes in the network, will the files pass through my computer from NAS1 to NAS2? or do files go directly from NAS1 to NAS2?
I should put something smart or silly here.

http://athlonfan.multiply.com

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
Re: Question about copying files over the network
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 09:41:42 AM »
Really depends on the transfer protocol Synctoy and your NASs support. And, at the very least, some data does go to your synctoy app to determine the synchronization rules to follow.
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline motion55

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:49:15 AM »
I think the files travel from NAS1 through your PC to NAS2. You can verify by checking the volume of traffic on your PC's ethernet interface. It's not efficient and the resulting speed is only half if the files were sent directly from NAS1 to NAS2.

If possible, you should run the file sync program from one of the NAS. Rsync?
"Set your mind free!"

Offline athlonFan

• Veterans
    • fyq's site
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:13:46 AM »
I think the files travel from NAS1 through your PC to NAS2. You can verify by checking the volume of traffic on your PC's ethernet interface. It's not efficient and the resulting speed is only half if the files were sent directly from NAS1 to NAS2.

If possible, you should run the file sync program from one of the NAS. Rsync?

This I have to research. I have set these up a few months ago hastily because of a failed internal hdd (which I haven't tried recovering yet)
I should put something smart or silly here.

http://athlonfan.multiply.com

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 09:21:43 AM »
It will pass through your PC. If I remember correctly you need something like FXP protocol for that

or if your NAS has linux under the hood with access to a terminal you can setup scripts to do it.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
Yes it will pass through the PC. Same thing also happens when transferring from one hard drive to another hard drive when both are connected to the same NAS.

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 11:15:49 AM »
^^ yeah. kaasar ano.

But at gigabit speeds it's still bearable. Doing that with 100baseT (100mbps) will suck though.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:50 PM »
My torrent downloader is a cdrking router with an HDD connected via usb.

I usually delete files from the HDD using a file explorer app on my smartphone but then I've found that it's way faster to access the router via telnet and do an "rm -rf" on the folder(s) that I wish to delete.

Is there an app that can do this with a gui? Kind of like a file explorer except it does things via telnet or ssh on the background.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk