Author Topic: Starting A Saltwater Tank  (Read 7929 times)

Offline Tea_J

Starting A Saltwater Tank
« on: June 20, 2005, 10:30:24 AM »
I've done lots of research.... asked lots of questions @ reefcentral.com.. and boy.. did i learn sooo much in one week..

back to the philippines though.. how many PPC members have saltwater tanks?

Where do you get your supplies?

Im from davao and we only have 1 SW fish store here that doesnt even have a business phone! lol.. im afraid i wont have many choices for equipments here.. meron ba dyan sa inyo? cebu? manila?

also, any advises?

thanks

Offline PaperCup

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 10:51:23 AM »
i suggest you visit www.palhs.com
meron dun tungkol sa saltwater tank

ok dun, dami ka matututunan
user ko dun is almightymike. Pero look for reefkeeper. Master yan sa saltwater tanks.  

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 10:53:58 AM »
I once tried to but failed (I didn't research much on that). But I bought my set up at Cartemar in Libertad. They have a variety of salt water preparations, salt water quipment and salt water fish. I think I didn't get the salinity rigth, though.  

Offline jung_06_04

• http://
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 11:20:44 AM »
sa cartimar pasay, dun ako kumuha ng mga supplies ko nung nag saltwater fishes ako. they have complete equipment and there's one or two stores willing to teach you how to set up.
so far ang mga basic na dapat mo gawin is mag babad ng live corals sa actual acquarium set up mo for 1 week bago mo malagyan ng anumang fish or anemone or what ever you want na mailagay. dati ang bili ko dun is por kilo 10 pesos/kl.
give sufficient budget for good ligthing, (actinic lights yata ang tawag dun sa violet), lalo na kung gusto mo maglagay ng maraming anemone and colorful corals.
kelangan mo din ng maayos na water cooling system para sa set up, para maganda ang temperature.
maayos na na aerator, para maganda ang water movement at maayos na filtration system., but the corals would do much of the cleaning, lalo ng mga mamamatay na fishes.
meron din dun supply ng salt na magagamit mo, i suggest red sea salt. its from israel and its a very good kind of salt for the purpose.
kung ititimpla mo sya sa tap water, be sure na nai imbak mo na ung tubig na gagamitin mo at least overnight bago mo haluan ng salt.
testing kits are alright kaya lang hindi ganun ka necessary., dont worry about having low salt concentration, mas malaki ang possibility na umalat ang tubig, kesa tumabang. kaya always have a fresh water ready pang dagdag, ang kailangan mong pang monitor nang salinity eh yung parang thermometer, merong point dun na pag lumulubog na sya, kelangan mo dagdagan ng fresh water, para hindi masyadong umalat.

My life is in the hands of any fool who makes me lose my temper. - Joseph Hunter

Offline dyzophoria

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 11:25:26 AM »
here is my suggestion, the if you are going to make a reef tank, i urgely suggest that you buy the half amount of salt from cartimar (the marina kind), and the other half from Bioresearch (forgot the name but iwas placed in a box .:)),

now the difference between this two is that the salt that is usually sold in cartimar has only a few natural chemicals that are needed by saltwater fishes and other coral, but the salt is cheap (for 450, your 75 gallon is a go if you use these), the salt from bioresearch, contains about 70-90 more natural elements, that most sensitive fishes need, but it's expensive (about 900 , but still you wont be able to fill a 75gallon tank,hehe), that's why I opted with using half of both mixtures, the first time you load some fishes, don't be dissapointed if some or most of them will die, it's part of the aging process with the water,hehe, but if you're lucky and non die in the first run, congrats!, be carefull when transporting your fish, for some apparent reason, saltwater fishes are sensitive to stress, nakakainis pa, kung minsan ang hirap tignan kung may sakit,hehehe, and if you're place is hot in the summer, you must definitely place a water chiller for your aquarium, last summer, almost all my fishes died,lolz,(except for 1 tiny fish) temps reached about 38-40 sa water,haha, planning on purchasing a chiller myself, goodluck bro!, it's a nice hobby/past time, and pag nakumpleto mo na tank mo, ganda tignan .:)
what you feel is what you want, what you want is beautiful..

Offline jung_06_04

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 11:28:44 AM »
another suggestion.
kung pepwede at kaya mo maaford, get the biggest aquarium set up you can have, dahil manghihinayang ka pag maliit ang fishtank mo tapos ang ganda na ng output ng set up. hindi kase katulad yan ng freshwater tanks na almost every month o week e pede mo baguhin ang ayos depende sa mood mo.
with saltwater tanks hanggat maaari e wag mo na ma disturb ang set up once everything and every marine life is fully adapted na sa kanilang kinalalagyan.

limit the number of fishes, choose kung ano ang makukulay. and opt more on anemonies and corals and those tree like tube (i forgot the name),
one fish na wag mawala e si nemo at saka ung lion fish. dont waste time and money sa starfish, naninira ng coral yan. meron din mga kabibe at iba pang shellfish. maganda din ang candy shrimp. kaya lang malamang makain ng lion fish.
My life is in the hands of any fool who makes me lose my temper. - Joseph Hunter

Offline jung_06_04

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 11:35:04 AM »
some no no's
dont ever put anything made of metal sa fishtank mo. also do not use any artificially colored stones or pebbles sa substrate (ung mga tiny sandlike of pebble like na nasa lapag ng fishtank).
however you much like to put those tiny shipwrecks or barrels of gold design and plastic plants. dont! hindi lang sya baduy, makakasama pa sa natural flow ng marine life mo.

Offline egzbuen

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 03:41:49 PM »
if you dont have any good filters...make sure you put lots of live rocks. at the very least 1 kilo per 1 gallon size of tank. mine has more than 100 kilos in my 100 gl tank. it serves as my filter aside from one ordinary skimmer
AMD X2 7750 Black Edition
Asus M3A78-CM
PC 4670 gddr3 512mb
8gb DDR800
2tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
LG 22x DVD writer

A64 - 3500+
KN1 SLI Extreme
Palit 7300GT 256mb
1GB Kingston ddr400
500GB Seagate SATA II
200GB Seagate IDE
LG DVD Writer LS

Dell Inspiron Notebook
Intel Core Duo

Offline Tea_J

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:02:38 PM »
great input you guys! :D really appreciated..

yes mga sirs..i've done my research alrite.. 1 week long research.. sheesh..

your suggestions are great. kaya lang.. i dont have much choices here in davao.. all we have are Bio-Salt and SERA sea salt. that's it.. 150 each.. good for 20 gal.

as for the temp..i dont worry.. i will have good water flow.. not to mention, DAVAO IS A COOL PLACE.. must be all the trees still present in the city..

also i have airconditioned room.. :D i'll have some fans ready too.. can't afford a chiller.

limit the number of fishes, choose kung ano ang makukulay. and opt more on anemonies and corals and those tree like tube (i forgot the name),
their called tube worms.. :) yeah their cool too.. thanks

if you dont have any good filters...make sure you put lots of live rocks. at the very least 1 kilo per 1 gallon size of tank. mine has more than 100 kilos in my 100 gl tank. it serves as my filter aside from one ordinary skimmer
wow. 100gal. may i see a picture of your tank sir? where did you get your LR? Davao has 1 saltwater fish store here, and they dont have live rocks. :(

anyway, just to share.. i have  decided on this setup:

1) a 50gal tank @ 36x18x18 inches (already ordered this last week)
2) an FOWLR setup (for those who doesnt know.. Fish Only With Live Rocks) with some anemones stuffs here and there. nothing fancy. just homely
3) 2 or 3 40 watt PowerCompact lights.. (120watt total)
4) SOme live rocks and live sands
5) medium bio-load livestock
6) custom made 15gal sump
7) protein skimme
8) 2 power heads for circular water flow (try ko)
9) 2 water pumps.. as tank drain to sump, and return pipe.
10) perhaps an additional 6in1 bio filter
11) a 20gal quarantine tank

soo.. what am i missing? any other suggestions?

Offline zagu

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 10:52:58 PM »
haha i remember before i have a salt water aquarium. After 1 year i quit the hobby. ang hirap hehe  

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 04:35:43 AM »
How often must one clean a saltwater tank?  

Offline jung_06_04

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 09:43:34 AM »
i used to clean my tank at least after 4 months, thats only when i notice that water salinity is quite high. so that means i must put in fresh unsalted water. that would also be the time for me to rearrange the coral a bit.
if i somewhat notice that the water is a bit cloudy and doesnt smell like an ocean, then i would take out 3/4 of the water and replenish it with salted water. one should never take out and replace all the water of these kind of set up, coz by then there are a lot of organism necessary for the balance of that saltwater environment.
for once a week maintenance of the front glass of the tank i use those magnetic glass cleaner, whenever the glass is thinly covered with moss or something. i never bother to clean the sides. those moss are also important to the environment so it was advised to keep most of them.
i also never take out the fish that persihed, those live corals takes care of decomposing and using their wastes.

Offline puto_binan

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 10:36:03 AM »
@Tea_J

Dati nagalga din ako ng fish pero fresh water types lang. Sa Cartimar marami Salt Water fishes dun. Nung nagtanong ako how to set-up a salt water tank, they told me that you need to culture the salt water for about 2-5 days before putting your fish. At saka you need to buy a VERY GOOD PUMP at kelangan mu din i-maintain ung temperature ng water kasi baka ma-shock ung mga fish when sudden change of temperature occurs. Thats all...    
[Masarap ang mga Puto sa Binan... Mainit na... Mura pa... Yummy!!!] [BIOMENYEKS]

Offline Dragon Ash

• Veterans
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 11:02:33 AM »
Don't set up your tank near electronic stuff.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Offline Tea_J

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 01:50:06 PM »
actually it is advised to clean your tank every week (the filters and siphon your substrates and stuffs for dirty things)..

also a 20-30% water change is advised every 2 weeks.. that's what i plan to do.. YOU NEVER HAVE TO CHANGE 100% of water.. that's actually BAD.. you will destroy your ANN cycle.. for sure you will get amonia spikes which will kill the fishies.

I plan to build a SUMP naman eh.. so it's cool.. i'll do the filtering, protein skimming, etc in the sump...including water treatment and water changes..

Dati nagalga din ako ng fish pero fresh water types lang. Sa Cartimar marami Salt Water fishes dun. Nung nagtanong ako how to set-up a salt water tank, they told me that you need to culture the salt water for about 2-5 days before putting your fish. At saka you need to buy a VERY GOOD PUMP at kelangan mu din i-maintain ung temperature ng water kasi baka ma-shock ung mga fish when sudden change of temperature occurs. Thats all..

yup.. thanks for the advise.. Cartimar? do they have a website where i can order online?

Yes you do need to culture the tank.. actually 5 days is too short.. the ANN cycle needs 2-3 weeks..i plan to let my tank stabilize for a month.. after that i will get fishes na.. 2 at a time.

Offline puto_binan

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 03:13:56 PM »
@Tea_J

Walang website ung Cartimar. Place yun where you buy bicycle, shoes at pets  (dogs, fish & everything in between). Dito sa Manila yun. You could find many types of fish there at saka pwede pang tawaran kapag marami ung bibilhin mo. If you are interested on going, sumakay ka lang ng jeep along TAFT AVE.  na my signs na -->PASAY, BACLARAN, TAFT<-- and tell the driver that you're going to CARTIMAR... madali ng hanapin yung PET side dun. Magikot ka muna bago ka bumili kasi mahal sa iba. Dun ka pumunta sa likod ng PET side dahil dun mura...  
[Masarap ang mga Puto sa Binan... Mainit na... Mura pa... Yummy!!!] [BIOMENYEKS]

Offline puto_binan

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 03:15:33 PM »
@Tea_J

Oo nga pala, try to research what type of glass you need to use for your tank. It helps you to know that kasi it lessens the change in temperature.

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 03:17:21 PM »
OT: ayaw nyo po ng flowerhorn? :-)
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you

Offline Tea_J

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 11:40:51 PM »
@puto
Walang website ung Cartimar. Place yun where you buy bicycle, shoes at pets (dogs, fish & everything in between). Dito sa Manila yun. You could find many types of fish there at saka pwede pang tawaran kapag marami ung bibilhin mo. If you are interested on going, sumakay ka lang ng jeep along TAFT AVE. na my signs na -->PASAY, BACLARAN, TAFT<-- and tell the driver that you're going to CARTIMAR... madali ng hanapin yung PET side dun. Magikot ka muna bago ka bumili kasi mahal sa iba. Dun ka pumunta sa likod ng PET side dahil dun mura..
one problem.. im in DAVAO.. :(

@Heishiro
OT: ayaw nyo po ng flowerhorn?
nope.. although maganda sana para benta.. but nah.. im going for saltwater tanks.. mas unique.. mas maganda fishies.. mas interesting.. challenging konti.. but we'll see..

Offline Heishiro

• Moderators
  • BIOMENYEKZ
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2005, 11:47:32 PM »
@Tea_J,

uu, challenging talaga yan! ako din nagbalak dati kaya lang
masyado mahal ang setup eh... maintenance pa. kaya flower
horn nalang ako... mas maganda colors ng mga saltwater. :-)
good luck sayo... sana mabuhay mo sila.
Rick "rolled" Astley would never :
- Give you up
- Let you down
- Run around and desert you
- Make you cry
- Say goodbye
- Tell a lie and hurt you