Author Topic: 5-Bay HDD USB3.0 Enclosure to Synology NAS connection, will it work?  (Read 286 times)

Offline Mr. Bungle

Got a question for someone who might have experience with this since Google isn't turning up any specifically relevant results about it: I'm planning on consolidating all my external DAS USB 3.0 drives into a single 5-Bay USB 3.0 enclosure. It's the ORICO 9558U3 5bay 3.5in HDD USB3.0 Enclosure .

I was wondering that if I connected the 5-bay enclosure to my Synology NAS via a single USB 3.0 connection, would each of the five HDD volumes be properly detected by DSM? The ORICO 9558U3 does not support RAID by the way.

Thanks!

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
hey, this looks interesting...should be easier than a bunch of external hdd's...
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline Mr. Bungle

I was reading some reviews of the product over at amazon and newegg. Apparently, there are some users who complained that these enclosures killed their drives. They didn't give enough details if it's because of user error or a product defect. Regardless, I've abandoned this plan for the moment because this enclosure is relatively expensive and I don't want to risk losing my drives to it.

Anyway, I did a little experiment with my NAS by connecting all five external drives to it using a USB hub and it worked. The each drive was detected and accessible. The only problem is that they have to be re-indexed every time they're plugged in which takes a lot of time before the media files are accessible by my streaming devices.

Offline egzbuen

I was reading some reviews of the product over at amazon and newegg. Apparently, there are some users who complained that these enclosures killed their drives. They didn't give enough details if it's because of user error or a product defect. Regardless, I've abandoned this plan for the moment because this enclosure is relatively expensive and I don't want to risk losing my drives to it.

Anyway, I did a little experiment with my NAS by connecting all five external drives to it using a USB hub and it worked. The each drive was detected and accessible. The only problem is that they have to be re-indexed every time they're plugged in which takes a lot of time before the media files are accessible by my streaming devices.
My setup is 4 x 4tb in a 4bay Probox and exhibits the same thing. It re-indexes Every time I turn it on. Longer wait time of you've placed or taken out a new file

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

AMD X2 7750 Black Edition
Asus M3A78-CM
PC 4670 gddr3 512mb
8gb DDR800
2tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
4tb Seagate
LG 22x DVD writer

A64 - 3500+
KN1 SLI Extreme
Palit 7300GT 256mb
1GB Kingston ddr400
500GB Seagate SATA II
200GB Seagate IDE
LG DVD Writer LS

Dell Inspiron Notebook
Intel Core Duo

Offline uvax

I think indexing is needed only if you use DLNA or Plex to stream content from the NAS. If you're using only Kodi via network folder share you won't need to have the media files indexed and can turn off indexing on the external drives.

Offline wheelee

plan to do teh same, only for docking & file retrieval
but will get this model
http://au.orico.cc/goods.php?id=6171

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
are there still those that hold IDE drives? i've got a bunch of old IDE HDD's that i'd like to check...
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Online splerdu

• Veterans
^ lol I might need to do the same. A few years ago I already migrated the contents of my old IDE HDDs to some newer 2GB SATAs... which were unfortunately WD Greens lol

Now the Greens are all dead and I might need to go back to the old IDEs to get my stuff again.
fhtagn