Author Topic: Ubuntu for laptop  (Read 647 times)

Offline marky

Ubuntu for laptop
« on: April 09, 2016, 05:38:46 PM »
Di ko alam kung saan thread ko ipost,  I wanted to try Ubuntu in my old laptop running on T4400 with 2GB Ram. Shall I go with 14.04.4 or 15.10? Any feedback?

Online jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Re: Ubuntu for laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 07:25:43 PM »
go with the latest (16.04), or just try 'em all... you can check on ubuntu forums for the specific model of your laptop to check for compatibility.
jeremypv

Offline calvin

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 07:45:24 PM »
for personal use... better to use the latest (16.04)

Offline lahar

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:24:21 PM »
I stopped using Ubuntu years ago. So much bloat now. I recommend CENTOS.

Offline marky

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 05:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the inputs. ^_^

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 08:32:26 AM »
korek si sir lahar, CENTOS mas okay. 
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 04:06:46 PM »
why not Linux Mint XFCE?

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 10:55:08 AM »
Coz they got hacked and their downloads replaced with trojan-infested ones lol!
http://thehackernews.com/2016/02/linux-mint-hack.html
"Hackers made a modified Linux Mint ISO, with a backdoor in it, and managed to hack our website to point to it," the head of Linux Mint project Clement Lefebvre said in a surprising announcement dated February 21, 2016.
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
well damn. i suppose it's fixed by now?

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:41 PM »
It is, but the fact that it happened doesn't really inspire confidence in the people running Mint.

First of all they had an unpatched Wordpress install weeks after it was known that WP had serious vulnerabilities.
Next they had seriously weak passwords for their admin upload accounts. (Srsly, it was "upmint" LOL)

Those are two pretty serious strikes when it comes to good practices, but it doesn't stop there. From comments provided by Debian (the distro that Mint and Ubuntu base their stuff on) developers on lwn, it seems like bad practices are endemic within the Mint ecosystem:
First of all, they don't issue any Security Advisories, so their users cannot - unlike users of most other mainstream distributions [1] - quickly lookup whether they are affected by a certain CVE.

Secondly, they are mixing their own binary packages with binary packages from Debian and Ubuntu without rebuilding the latter. This creates something that we in Debian call a "FrankenDebian" which results in system updates becoming unpredictable [2]. With the result, that the Mint developers simply decided to blacklist certain packages from upgrades by default thus putting their users at risk because important security updates may not be installed.

Thirdly, while they import packages from Ubuntu or Debian, they hi-jack package and binary names by re-using existing names. For example, they called their fork of gdm2 "mdm" which supposedly means "Mint Display Manager". However, the problem is that there already is a package "mdm" in Debian which are "Utilities for single-host parallel shell scripting". Thus, on Mint, the original "mdm" package cannot be installed.

Tech Republic has a good article on why "hobbyist" distros should be treated as such -- as toys basically, or a proof-of-concept that a particular desktop environment works, but not as a serious production environment.
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/why-the-linux-mint-hack-is-an-indicator-of-a-larger-problem/

FWIW I'll give my +1 to sir lahar and friendlyfire's recommendation.
CentOS is basically a free, community-managed fork of RedHat stable.
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 05:54:48 PM »
ah well. i suppose i will have to try CENTOS also.

Offline eric.ehao@gmail.com

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:50:23 AM »
I think 15 ka na sir.. it is a free OS after all kaya isagad mo na :)

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 12:06:16 PM »
ah well. i suppose i will have to try CENTOS also.
It's not as pretty as mint and, if you happen to have hardware that's really new, there could be issues with drivers since it is based on Red Hat. I suggest trying it out on Virtualbox or VMware first.

Tapatalked