Author Topic: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline ris

Re: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2016, 02:32:07 AM »
well, im not getting any bsod and i do not plan to look for the culprit anymore.  it was such a frustrating experience for me.  i was thinking if it was the board, processor, psu or software that was doing this.  i never actually imagined that a bios setting would affect windows that randomly.  i thought that if there was a setting that would mess up my pc in bios, the pc should not boot.  it seems that particular bios setting affects windows randomly. not sure why though
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2016, 02:42:36 PM »
Your machine wouldn't boot on Core C6 state initially anyway so it shouldn't prevent you from booting. Judging by how it's supposed to work if it borks then it would only do so when it undervolts the CPU. Well, it's a good thing you finally figured it out.

Offline ris

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2016, 05:44:17 PM »
really odd that this happens.  but one of the things i think causes it is that my motherboard stopped updating its bios by 2014.  but the processor i used i think is produced in (2015-2016?).  so maybe the motherboard did not have proper settings for this processor. 

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2016, 06:07:09 PM »
LOL if you recall my post in the previous page there's actually a BIOS for your mobo released this year that adds support for your CPU.

But if the problem is PSU voltage it might not help solve your BSODs.
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
LOL if you recall my post in the previous page there's actually a BIOS for your mobo released this year that adds support for your CPU.

But if the problem is PSU voltage it might not help solve your BSODs.

i cannot seem to see that update.  i installed the asrock app shop but it doesnt display a bios update for me.  and also, i do not plan to update the bios since i have been screwed last time.  i think its better if it stays this way.  thanks for all the help though.  hehehe

Offline eric.ehao@gmail.com

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 10:13:59 AM »
thanks to this.. Ill try some of suggestions here.. :)

Offline ris

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
currently on windows 10.  bsod is still happening.  i updated bios due to my frustration.  the update actually went well but the bsod is still there.  this is quite a nuisance

Offline theDUD3

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2016, 09:59:47 AM »
^ those bsod's may be caused by faulty memory that even memtest can't detect. i had a backup pc that was giving me the fits because of random bsod's, sometimes it would go for weeks without any problems and somedays it would bsod every few minutes. after numerous testing and re-testing, installing and re-installing of os i couldn't find the problem so i left it as it was. after a couple of months i upgraded the ram in my main rig so i transferred the 2x8gb to the problematic pc and voila i haven't had a single bsod since. i didn't think of replacing the memory sticks before because it passed memtest everytime i tested it.

Ryzen 7 7100 | Fatality ASRock X370 Gaming K4 | 2x8GB TridentZ RGB 3200 | GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC | 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD  + 4TB Storage | 27" Dell U2713H @ 2560x1440

Offline ris

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 03:56:42 AM »
^ those bsod's may be caused by faulty memory that even memtest can't detect. i had a backup pc that was giving me the fits because of random bsod's, sometimes it would go for weeks without any problems and somedays it would bsod every few minutes. after numerous testing and re-testing, installing and re-installing of os i couldn't find the problem so i left it as it was. after a couple of months i upgraded the ram in my main rig so i transferred the 2x8gb to the problematic pc and voila i haven't had a single bsod since. i didn't think of replacing the memory sticks before because it passed memtest everytime i tested it.

wow!  worth a note.  not going to do memtest anymore.  hehehe!  thanks!  but hopefully its not the ram.  i just updated bios and now i just bought a new cpu cooler.  i bought the cooler master 212x.  im planning to reinstall windows 10 with the stable drivers that i "think" should be installed.  my installation of windows is currently so messed up so i want a clean windows installation to start from scratch.  my current problem is that windows gives me a bsod every time i change certain settings in bios.  this only actually happened after i updated to the latest version P2.90 for my asrock mobo.  i was on version P1.70 and changing bios settings did not give me immediate bsod upon startup. 

from what i read, the version P1.70 did not support my processor which is 7870k godavari.  so im thinking the windows installation got screwed up because of the bios update.  so hopefully i would not get bsod after i reinstall windows and change bios settings.  the weird bsod is also probably caused by system restore since i am seeing settings snapping to default after system restore. 

thanks for all the help!

Offline theDUD3

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2016, 10:44:19 PM »
^ interesting, my mobo was also from Asrock but for intel 4th gen processors
Ryzen 7 7100 | Fatality ASRock X370 Gaming K4 | 2x8GB TridentZ RGB 3200 | GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC | 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD  + 4TB Storage | 27" Dell U2713H @ 2560x1440

Offline ris

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 01:20:12 AM »
^ interesting, my mobo was also from Asrock but for intel 4th gen processors

did you try to update the bios?  probably a compatibility issue.  im still a bit busy now so i will be reinstalling windows soon.  but i currently am not having bsods.  i changed the cpu cooler too though.  so it could probably be that too.  i did so many things i dont know which one was the solution

Offline theDUD3

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 08:18:26 AM »
^ yup i also flashed the bios but it didn't work.

Offline ris

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2016, 08:38:49 PM »

just wanted to update this thread.  its been a while and im not having any bsods.  i reinstalled windows just to start really clean from registry or drivers being corrupted.  i actually tried changing the settings in bios again to check if the bsod would happen and surprisingly it did not.  im just not sure if its the bios update or the new cpu cooler.  im also assuming that its both.  core c6 is also set to auto and im still not encountering any bsod.  the bios is updated so core c6 has an additional setting below it.  it could actually be both the cooler and bios doing the bsod in separate occasions. 

thank you all for the inputs.  hopefully i do not get that bsod anytime soon.  hehehe

Offline ris

« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »

just wanted to update this thread.  its been a while and im not having any bsods.  i reinstalled windows just to start really clean from registry or drivers being corrupted.  i actually tried changing the settings in bios again to check if the bsod would happen and surprisingly it did not.  im just not sure if its the bios update or the new cpu cooler.  im also assuming that its both.  core c6 is also set to auto and im still not encountering any bsod.  the bios is updated so core c6 has an additional setting below it.  it could actually be both the cooler and bios doing the bsod in separate occasions. 

thank you all for the inputs.  hopefully i do not get that bsod anytime soon.  hehehe

update ko lang.  wala na bsod ko!  merry talaga ang christmas ko ngayon!  im just not sure if its the cpu cooler or the bios update that fixed it.

merry christmas to all!