Author Topic: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?  (Read 2458 times)

Offline ris

Re: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2016, 02:24:39 AM »
Daemon tools' sptd.sys?

alcohol 120.  my pc hanged recently without bsod.  im considering "upgrading" to windows 10.  should i?  any negative effects?  are there many old programs that windows 10 would not run?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2016, 03:18:09 AM »
Shouldn't be a problem so long as you have the proper drivers for all your stuff.

For mounting ISOs I stopped using Daemon Tools and Alcohol after XP. Suggest using Microsoft's own Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel, or slysoft's Virtual CloneDrive
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 03:03:25 PM »
just installed windows 10 and still got the bsod.  lolz!  i think i found the one causing it now.  it seems to be the settings in bios.  apparently,  the amd "cool and quiet" or other similar amd tweaks do that.  kaya pala mahirap hanapin kasi naka default enabled sya kaya di mo iisipin na yun ang cause.  i have disabled about 3 of those amd "tweaks".  will be observing if it fixes my bsod problem.  my next problem now is which setting to turn back on.  i do not want to see the damned bsod again. 

any suggestions on what to turn off on windows 10?  or software to download to make windows 10 less invasive?

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
eh? cool n quiet is like speedstep, dynamic downclocking of your CPU during low/no-load situations. baka kulang talaga yung stock voltage na binibigay ng board sa cpu mo...
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline ris

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 02:06:55 AM »
i actually disabled 4 settings in bios.  all of them under "cpu configuration".  still testing them though.  checked the voltages and they seem to be good.  eto pa additional specs ko para ma sure natin

seasonic 550w psu modular (g-550 gold power supply)
1 chassis fan connected on cha_fan3 connector
1 stock cpu fan
2 sticks of 8gb gskill 2133 ram
3 wd green hdd
1 samsung 850 pro ssd
1 dvdrw drive
usb peripherals plugged in - keyboard, mouse, micro usb connector, 2 usb extension cords and printer.

kulang pa ba?  meron naman ako nabasa na nagloloko talaga yung mga pc pag naka on yung certain amd settings sa bios.  di ko lang talaga mahanap kung ano yung gumagawa nun.  observation mode pa ako ngayon.  pag di nag bsod for a few days baka hanapin ko na ang cause talaga.  yun lang disable ko.  but based on my google search parang amd cool n quiet ang nagpa bsod.  nag disable lang ako ng madami kasi ayaw ko paisa isa.  lalo na kung iisa isahin ko every bsod.  enable ko nalang isa isa kung di na nag bsod.  at least kung di nag blue screen alam ko na kung ano yung cause

thanks for all the inputs.  update ko kayo kung ano nangyari after a few days

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2016, 12:05:38 PM »
PSU capacity/quality is good enough, the question is whether the motherboard is properly supplying enough voltage when the processor changes clock speed.

Offline ris

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2016, 12:36:28 PM »
hopefully yes.  hehehe!  i have not been getting bsod recently.  even with cool n quiet off clock speed changes right?  i think its a driver conflict or something that creates the bsod and not voltage problems.  well, i will keep observing first.  if ever i do not get bsod for a while i will check the others. 

how do i check if the motherboard is supplying enough voltage?  any manual methods? 

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »
not sure if dynamic down/upclocking will work if you disabled cool & quiet.  you can try adding +0.01-0.05v (or whatever smallest value available) to cpu voltage then enable cool & quiet.

Offline ris

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2016, 09:46:13 PM »
maybe its the dynamic down/upclocking that is doing the bsod and not the voltage? 

Offline ris

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2016, 10:44:44 PM »
i have thought of an explanation as to why the cpu configuration gives me bsod.  could it be because the latest bios for my mobo is at 2014.  while my processor which is an A10 kaveri 7870k was released just recently.  could be a configuration issue right?  since there is no bios update to make the settings compatible with the current processor

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2016, 01:37:15 AM »
I see the Godavari 7870k on the CPU support list, and a 2016 BIOS for two FM2A88X+ boards. Is either one applicable to you?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1ty%20FM2A88X+%20Killer/?cat=CPU
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/FM2A88X+%20BTC/?cat=CPU

fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 12:03:12 AM »
i dont want to mess with my bios now.  i just had this mobo replaced.  and actually the app shop did not find any later updates for my bios.  so i guess its fully updated also.

i did not have any bsod for 2 days already.  it seems that is really the culprit.  im still waiting for the 3rd day before tweaking to confirm which of the 4 settings should be disabled. 

my mobo is the fatal1ty fm2a88x+ killer.  and i messed up a bios update recently so i dont want that headache anymore.  since i also had the bsod problem after having it replaced.  update ko ulit ito kung ano yung confirmed settings.  thanks for all the help

Offline ris

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 06:02:56 PM »
maybe cool n quiet isnt causing the bsod.  just enabled the 3 of the 4 settings in cpu and still got the bsod now.  the disabled one is cool n quiet.  so now i disabled svm.  i think thats the culprit.  apparently svm is defined as something that makes me run "multiple OS" on the same hardware.  whatever that means.  testing it out now.  i enabled thermal throttling and amd c6 along with cool n quiet.  hopefully i find the problem and disable it

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 09:22:41 PM »
SVM is the AMD equivalent of Intel's VT-x. Its been around since the Athlon 64.
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2016, 02:49:48 AM »
my bios version is p1.70 btw.  i dont know why the bsod is happening but disabling all four cpu configuration fixes it.  im currently checking which one of them does this.  what is the benefit of turning on svm?  sorry im not familiar with that

Offline ris

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2016, 02:54:27 AM »
edit:  its not svm.  pc just froze recently.  currently turned off cpu thermal throttle.  last to be disabled would be amd core c6.  its possible that turning off all four settings is the solution but im still trying to enable some just to find if a specific setting is doing this

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2016, 03:53:31 AM »
my bios version is p1.70 btw.  i dont know why the bsod is happening but disabling all four cpu configuration fixes it.  im currently checking which one of them does this.  what is the benefit of turning on svm?  sorry im not familiar with that

It's for running VMs. Like if you use VirtualBox to run [other os].
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2016, 07:02:08 AM »
just disabled core c6.  since disabling the others also gave me bsod.  apparently it seems to be core c6 thats doing this.  cool n quiet, thermal throttle and svm are all turned on now and no bsod.  hopefully its just c6.  ill update this thread after about 3 days of no bsod to confirm.

Offline ris

« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2016, 05:35:38 PM »
update:  it seems core c6 was the one causing the random bsod.  its been a few days and i did not experience any bsod anymore.  could it be a conflict in the voltage management?  cause from what i understand core c6, cool n quiet and amd apm does similar things.  im thinking of trying to see if the bsod will still not happen if i enabled core c6 and disabled cool n quiet or apm.  i read online that core c6 should be enabled when you want to overclock at certain speeds.  any suggestions?

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2016, 03:13:03 PM »
Maybe it undervolts it just below the threshold causing the BSOD