Author Topic: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?  (Read 2355 times)

Offline ris

random bsod in windows 7 64bit?
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:42:24 AM »
hi guys.  im currently having a problem with my recent windows 7 installation.  i bought a new rig and ive been having this random bsod happen.  the bsod usually happens when i am doing something.  it only happened a few times when the pc was idle.  i even had a bsod while i was posting something here in ppc.  when i posted regarding palikan it hanged before.  this is actually a new windows 7 installation so i am wondering if its hardware or software related issue.  aside from the hard drives and mouse, everything is brand new.  could it be a windows update or a driver issue?  i read somewhere online that there could be a certain hardware that i could disable to fix the issue.  i read that i needed to disable a usb hub since that is the thing causing the bsod.  here are my specs for reference.

asrock fatal1ty fm2a88x+
samsung 850 pro hdd
gskill 16gb 2133 ddr3 ram
liteon dvdrw
amd 7870k a10 processor

should i just install windows 8?  lol

is memtest86 still a good program to use now?
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline WallyWest

Re: random bsod in windows 7 64bit?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
What's the last thing you can make out from the error messages? Like, IO error, IRQ or something?

sent via Tapatalk

Online jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 04:18:26 AM »
^ and the bsod will give an error like 0xc00000fe in which you can google and will elimate a few stuff that are OK.
jeremypv

Offline ris

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 10:34:50 AM »
different bsod errors.  latest was irql not less or equal.  then there is a bsod that does not have a message on top but an address of 00000000x000.  not sure.  i think it was all zeros.  if it was different bsod most likely it would be bad ram right?  since if its only one thing the error message should be the same right?

i just removed one stick of ram to see if it would get fixed. so far no hangs yet. 

sometimes my pc just freezes without bsod.  the next time i get a bsod ill try to check the message.

Offline ris

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 06:20:01 PM »

here are the two bsod that i had recently.  i uninstalled killer network manager recently and thought that it would fix the bsod.  but i think i have 2 problems.  the previous bsod which does not indicate a file is gone but i recently had this new (directx related?) bsod which points to my graphics driver. 

im observing it now to see if the bsod was just a one time thing since i just uninstalled the lan software.  i tried disabling page file and uninstalling antivirus suite but the uninstallation of the lan driver was the best solution i had

any idea on what else i could check?

EDIT: the one on top is the more recent bsod btw

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Looks like either graphics or audio driver problem.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline ris

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2016, 12:25:47 PM »
Looks like either graphics or audio driver problem.

graphics is latest version.  recently updated audio to latest.  its ok to use drivers provided by the original manufacturer right? (realtek/amd ati instead of asrock provided which are already very old drivers)

i have a new bsod (WTF?).  now its pointing at the mouse, hidusb.sys.  could this mean that my ram is bad or windows install is bad?  since the bsod shifted to another driver. 

recently also uninstalled the asrock "utilities" like f stream tuning and app shop.  i also disabled samsung magician from booting on startup.

windows is fully updated btw

Offline ris

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2016, 12:29:58 PM »
i also recently installed bluescreenview which show the information on which driver caused the bsod.  its a great software!  the common file that causes the bsod is ntoskrnl.sys. but at times it is accompanied by hidusb.sys, serenum.sys, dxgmms1.sys or hidclass.sys. 

do i need proper drivers for the mouse and keyboard?  i am using the elephant brand that datablitz sells.  i actually like them and they are extremely cheap.  the generic drivers are already good right?

Offline ris

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2016, 01:24:19 PM »
i just tried booting into safe mode now and also got a bsod there.  could it still be a driver problem?  the bsod is so random.  would it really be hardware?  could it be windows 7 that is doing this and not the drivers?

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »
memtest86

Check BIOS voltages for RAM and CPU, maybe undervolted or something.  What's your power supply?

Offline ris

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2016, 03:19:43 PM »
memtest86

Check BIOS voltages for RAM and CPU, maybe undervolted or something.  What's your power supply?

i just turned off xmp for now to check if thats the problem.  not undervolted.  its 1.6v gskill 2133.  so im now running it at 1033 to check if it fixes anything.  when i checked the timings on the xmp, it was all correct.  i cannot understand why this is still happening.  i actually selected profile 2 of xmp instead of 1.  but both settings are the same in timing and voltage.

power supply is seasonic 550w modular.  plugged devices aside from board and ram are 1 ssd, 3 sata hdd, 1 dvdrw.  its a modular power supply in case that is relevant.  seasonic ssr-550rm active pfc f3 g550

i ran memtest86 for a while but this damned pc also has a weird quirk.  whenever it is not running windows, the fan on the cpu spins extremely fast.  it bothered me so i stopped memtest.  it was running for a good 20 mins and did not find errors though.  my old pc also does that but it was the vc that did it and not the cpu.  i have an apu chip now btw.

thanks for all the help guys

how do i check for the cpu?  i do not remember tweaking anything with the cpu on uefi bios.  so its in default setting.  do i still need to change it?

Offline uvax

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 05:17:48 PM »
I've had random bsod on the current pc I'm using now. Like yours sometimes the fan would sometimes spin very fast. I was at a lost on how to resolve it as it was very reliable before. It's also an AMD apu rig. Turned out I had dust bunnies clogging the cpu fan so the cpu waas overheating. Since your rig is new maybe check the installation of the cooling fan.

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
Silly q but did you plug in the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors to the motherboard?

Offline ris

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2016, 03:40:50 AM »
I've had random bsod on the current pc I'm using now. Like yours sometimes the fan would sometimes spin very fast. I was at a lost on how to resolve it as it was very reliable before. It's also an AMD apu rig. Turned out I had dust bunnies clogging the cpu fan so the cpu waas overheating. Since your rig is new maybe check the installation of the cooling fan.

everything seems okay with those.  and if it was overheating shouldnt it not boot up after freezing? 

Silly q but did you plug in the 4 pin and 20 pin connectors to the motherboard?

i think its 8 pin and 20 pin connectors right?  i plugged them all in.  would they still boot up if i didnt? 

update:  i tried to disable xmp for the ram and actually had it not bsod on me for a long time but recently had a bsod again.  latest was even a new bsod.  i just uninstalled alcohol along with the sptd.sys driver.  googled it and it was mentioned that sptd.sys from alcohol causes bsod.  will be observing(AGAIN!!!) for a few days.  its extremely irritating because the bsod was random so i need to wait for it to happen.  the weird thing is that the error messages are different so im not sure if i have more than one problem to solve for the bsod

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 03:04:19 PM »
at this point i'd reformat and reinstall win7, then check stability there before installing any drivers at all.

Offline ris

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2016, 05:17:25 PM »
at this point i'd reformat and reinstall win7, then check stability there before installing any drivers at all.

thats what im thinking of doing.  still observing though.  the bsod is extremely random which is very weird.  and it actually happens more often when i move my mouse pointer.  so im not exactly sure what is causing all of this

eset is asking me regarding what to do with mail.beyondboredom.net. anybody familiar with this site?  i have xnotifier installed btw.  could it be that accessing the website?

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
had BSOD issues with my rig after upgrading to 16GB RAM from 8GB (added 2 more modules).

The only thing that stopped the BSODs was manually setting the RAM settings and slightly over-volting (I think by 0.25v). XMP settings just made the PC crash. Try mo baka pareho tayo problema.

Offline ris

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2016, 05:58:14 PM »
had BSOD issues with my rig after upgrading to 16GB RAM from 8GB (added 2 more modules).

The only thing that stopped the BSODs was manually setting the RAM settings and slightly over-volting (I think by 0.25v). XMP settings just made the PC crash. Try mo baka pareho tayo problema.

pag nag bsod pa ako ngayon try ko nga.  very weird problem talaga.  baka may natira pang trace nung sptd.sys file kaya nag bsod last time.  pc has been on for a while without bsod.  i turned off xmp and then on just recently.  i was actually planning to manually change the timings but not over volting.  will try that solution also if ever bsod does not disappear.  kaasar ngayon tong bagong pc parang mas mahirap hanapin ang problema

Offline ris

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2016, 10:17:23 PM »
nag bsod ako kanina.  bad trip talaga.  so i tried the over volting and the pc would not boot up.  so nag reset ako ng cmos using the button at the back and not the grounding technique.  di pala kasama yung pag alis ng password dun sa reset ng cmos button.  ayaw ko na mag over volt.  lolz!  kakahiya naman  sa shop kung magpa warranty ulit ako. 

baka di pa na linis ng mabuti sa page file or somewhere nung nag restart ako.  bluescreenview shows sptd.sys still being part of the log.  siguro observe ko nalang muna for 3 days without installing anything. 

thanks for all the inputs guys

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2016, 02:08:03 AM »
Daemon tools' sptd.sys?
fhtagn