Author Topic: Port Congestion and Manila Traffic  (Read 5958 times)

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
Port Congestion and Manila Traffic
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:16:23 PM »

should we really  blame erap for the traffic?   
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Online lahar

Re: Port Congestion and Manila Traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:05:35 PM »
^it was the fault of Caloocan City who closed off some streets, not Manila.

Offline friendlyfire

• Brrrrrrr!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:09:06 PM »
^ ohh, that's why. i guess i need to find alternative routes going to manila. thanks for the info.
I love the smell of napalm in the morning!

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:29:58 AM »

should we really  blame erap for the traffic?   

The port decongestion operation provides the primary bulk of traffic heading north.
come on Toshi!

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:23:12 AM »
How did the port get congested in the first place?

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:42 AM »

The City of Manila uniltaterally introduced a truck ban in the guise of "helping" ease traffic.  Much like that bus ban in the guise of ensuring bus operators pay a terminal fee in Manila.
come on Toshi!

Online calvin

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:42:35 PM »

The City of Manila uniltaterally introduced a truck ban in the guise of "helping" ease traffic.  Much like that bus ban in the guise of ensuring bus operators pay a terminal fee in Manila.

My BoC mole says the truck ban wasn't the main cause of the port congestion... apparently, the PPA had some previous issues with foreign carriers which resulted to the ships not loading the empty container vans when they sail out.

Offline JM

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »

My BoC mole says the truck ban wasn't the main cause of the port congestion... apparently, the PPA had some previous issues with foreign carriers which resulted to the ships not loading the empty container vans when they sail out.

Actually the start of the problem was the releasing of the containers. The new guidelines and requirements were so poorly implemented that the containers were not being released (as much as 3 months delayed). Thus the ports started to pile up. Then when they do get released, the empty containers have no space to stay prior to loading out since the vessels are still in queue to be unloaded. Quite a lot of vessels cancelled their routes to the PH.

Online Sephiroth

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 08:27:50 AM »
so that's why imported medical supplies suddenly shot up in price. da heck.

Offline Mr. Bungle

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 08:39:18 AM »
A package I had shipped in from abroad took almost a month to get to my doorstep when it usually only takes about a week.

When I followed up with the shipping company, they said that the cargo ship was stuck queuing to get docked at the port that's why the delivery was delayed.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 09:07:08 AM »
Air freight is the way to go for now.
fhtagn

Offline Louie

• Administrator
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
Yeah, I'm loving Johnny Air Cargo lol.

C-5/Katipunan was wild last night. Two lanes occupied for trucks around 11PM. Also, this morning was bad in C-5. Too many stoplights now and they're not even in sync. One stoplight didn't have any traffic enforcer either so some motorists were going back to the bad habit of blocking intersections.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 11:58:30 AM »
Yeah, I'm loving Johnny Air Cargo lol.

Some friend pati brakes and mags air freight na mag ship! lol

C-5/Katipunan was wild last night. Two lanes occupied for trucks around 11PM. Also, this morning was bad in C-5. Too many stoplights now and they're not even in sync. One stoplight didn't have any traffic enforcer either so some motorists were going back to the bad habit of blocking intersections.

C5 southbound has been like that every night for at least the past week. Traffic all the way from makati until katipunan, and you can see the queue gradually build up creeping ever further northward.
fhtagn

Offline Louie

• Administrator
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
I still think that the U-Turn slots were better

Online calvin

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 02:32:03 PM »
I still think that the U-Turn slots were better

DPWH said they FEEL that intersections with stop lights will give better traffic flow. lol
They just do things according to how they feel without doing any actual study.

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:03:24 PM »

Given our raw materials have to factor a 3-week delay at the ports, our brokers and forwarders have a closer insight into this matter.

First of all, the congestion began when Erap & Isko implemented the truck ban.  The PPA reacted poorly to the situation to simply appear responsive and banned unlicensed truckers.  As per reports, there is a need for 72000 trucks to clear the usual load from the ports.  The ban effectively reduced that number to something like 34,000.

Second, the port was already operating at 85% capacity prior to the truck ban.  Which means any slight delay, would see the container dock fill up very quickly. 

This in turn started containers, both empty and loaded to pile up.  The ability of a port to service inbound and outbound cargo is dependent on the availability of space in its container yards.

Third, in order to clear all those, the port operators are now paying Subic and Batangas ports to take in the empty containers.  Hence the traffic going up north.

Now factor in the delays here, and the refusal of vessels abroad to carry cargo to Manila (because they'd be floating for weeks on end prior to unloading), and you really have a clusterfuck of international proportions.

Costs have gone up, especially for manufacturers who have to ship in items via air.  The interest expense of idle merchandise at sea and the lost opportunity cost of sales all come into play.

It will be reflected in the goods we consume or the products we export.

Likewise, 20,000 PEZA workers have already been temporarily laid off due to the shortage of raw materials.

The traffic issue is largely a matter of infrastructure.  The roads, the squatters, the lack of an appointment system...these are the key issues that should have been addressed.

Banning trucks though, was just sheer short sighted thuggery meant to squeeze the port operators.
come on Toshi!

Offline Hajile

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 03:19:19 PM »
I just had a look at google earth. We don't have a railroad going through the ports?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 04:14:16 PM »
We had one if I remember correctly but that was before the war.
come on Toshi!

Offline Hajile

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2014, 06:11:12 PM »
Would it help with the traffic if we were to extend or branch off a route to the ports?

Matagal ko na napapansin na puro passenger trains ang dumadaan sa pacita, madalang ang containers. Di ba mas cost effective ang tren kesa sa trucks?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Offline TNT2bluz

• Veterans
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
Yes but you would need in-land container yards to be developed as well.

City planning fail.

Exacerbated by moronic politicians.
come on Toshi!