Author Topic: All about LED/ LCD HD TV's  (Read 5484 times)

Offline jorussic

• Moderators
    • My LinkedIn Profile
Re: All about LED/ LCD HD TV's
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2016, 03:00:29 PM »
Now is a good time to grab a plasma TV IMHO. Sets should be cheap now because they're "obsolete".

My brother-in-law had or were sold the same idea. He bought a Samsung plasma 40" or 42" about 2 years ago. He complained it ran quite hot unless he reduced the brightness. They were using it when suddenly something blew inside the TV set.
Samsung has a knack for blowing up their products.

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
There's a computer in TVs nowadays.  Our 55" Rear Projection TV had an intel 386sx cpu and AMI bios (saw it boot up one time by the visiting tech).  We had several exhaust fans added in it to help prevent future convergence chips from blowing out. (by last repair, it had blown twice already)
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2016, 03:04:07 AM »
Plasmas are space heaters! Power consumption is also tremendous if you're gonna be running it a lot. Not a good set if your household is the sort that leaves the TV on as a sort of background accompaniment to your daily routine.

But if it's only for your personal viewing for movies and the like it's actually pretty good. I was actually considering getting a plasma last year, but after thinking on it's drawbacks I decided to go for the full monty and went for a proper fixed screen + projector setup instead. Figured if I was gonna run a plasma for just 1 to 2 hours then a PJ will be much better (and it is, IMO).

If you do end up shopping for plasma, IMO the best sets were the old Panasonic Vieras.
fhtagn

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2016, 04:59:29 AM »
I dunno, based on this:

http://www.kuryente.org.ph/electric-company/rates/128 (P7.4176/kWh)

and these figures for a 65-inch plasma running 5 hours/day with electricity priced at $0.11/kWh:

But even if you double the figures on the Energy Guide label, even the largest, least efficient TVs still cost less per month than a decent lunch. The most power-hungry TV I've recently tested, Panasonic's 65-inch TC-P65VT50, costs about $81 per year, or $6.77 per month. And that's after calibrating the picture so it's suitable for viewing in moderate lighting.
from https://www.cnet.com/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-tv-power-consumption/
(David Katzmaier knows his TVs)

The same TV today would cost P5554/year to run 5 hours a day, or P15/day (~2kWh/day).

Yeah plasma's are heaters, though I run my plasma in a living room (no aircon) so heat buildup isn't an issue.

Anyway, if LED is good enough for whoever's buying, then it's good enough.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
^ Fair points. If you can live with the heat then plasmas are very good. Black levels can't be touched by anything short of OLEDs, which are still very pricey.

This is a pretty good guide to TV power consumption. Rest of the site is informative too, with data on a bunch of other appliances.
http://energyusecalculator.com/electricity_lcdleddisplay.htm
fhtagn

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2016, 12:11:20 PM »
Yup OLEDs are super pricey, cheapest set i've seen (LG 55") is SGD3.6k, or P122k.

<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Online WallyWest

« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2016, 02:34:45 PM »
That's depressing. I was hoping it was just some loose solder or drifting components.

I'd better have that confirmed this weekend while there are still TVs on sale.

Tapatalked

I actually attempted to fix by disassembling the LCD and cleaning and reheating the IC parts in case of cold solder joints without success. I then disconnected the ribbon cable from the main controller to the LCD panel. I noticed that the same area of blurred display still persisted. That's when I concluded the panel itself was busted.
You were right to conclude it's a defective panel.

I went to an official Sony Service Center today. Apparently, double image and discoloration is a very common problem as, after I described the symptoms, the receptionist was able to give me an estimate of the repair - a whopping 9.7k! She says with utmost certainty that it's the 2nd layer of the panel that's defective and needs to be replaced. They also have spare parts on hand and I can have the set back within the day should I opt get it repaired. Wow, they're practically experts at repairing this defect by now.

I'm actually wondering, if this is such a common defect, why hasn't Sony issued a product recall or offered free replacement of the obviously defective parts? I recall Canon issued a free repair of their Powershot digicams due to defective Sony sensors. Is Sony's quality and customer care slipping?

Anyways, since this is going to be an unplanned purchase, I'm looking for the cheapest replacement branded TV possible. I've seen a couple of Sharp Aquos 32 inchers at 8k to 10k online and at Abenson. Are these any good? I've had good experience with Sharp's CRT TVs, washing machines, and aircon but I've never tried nor seen their LED TVs yet. I just want something decent that my family can binge watch TV series on and will hopefully last for at least a decade.

Can anyone vouch for Sharp? Or any other suggested brands? I'll pass on LG and Samsung coz their reputation is just as awful as Sony right now.

Tapatalked

Offline motion55

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2016, 10:17:48 PM »
I think it is too much to expect a TV to last longer than 5 years without expecting it fail one way or another. In the days of the CRT, the TV sets can easily be repaired because the technology has become stable and replacement parts have become cheap. With LCDs, the repairing vs. buying a new one is a toss-up with mostly buying a new one winning. This makes parts very expensive and thus makes buying an even better option.

All TV manufacturers will replace defective parts within a 1 or 2 year warranty period. Too bad, it's the expensive panel that failed on the old Bravias. Too bad they tend to fail outside the warranty period. You can choose another brand, but I think they will have similar mean times before failure. Just hope, the failure is still repairable.

In 2011, I bought another Sony (a 40" one) after the first one failed after about 6 years use. So it's been 5 years use. I am not expecting it to fail anytime soon but I won't be disappointed if it did.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline ris

« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »
i would actually suggest that you buy an unknown brand.  they could even actually last longer.  since the sony didnt last as long, there is no sense in buying another "good" brand.  it would be better if you read the threads at pinoydvd and start from there.  with the unknown brands you could even buy the bigger size for the same amount.  and also, there could be a lazada 12.12 sale soon so a really good bargain for tv might be available that time
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
Last time I was at Blueskies some of Herbie's Chimei monitors from 10+ years ago were still working! Those no-name monitors are exposed to dust and cigarette smoke and have been serving ~16 hours a day or so for more than a decade and they're still kicking.
fhtagn

Offline ris

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2016, 02:48:36 AM »
Last time I was at Blueskies some of Herbie's Chimei monitors from 10+ years ago were still working! Those no-name monitors are exposed to dust and cigarette smoke and have been serving ~16 hours a day or so for more than a decade and they're still kicking.

this!  hehehe

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2016, 05:02:04 AM »
Check out those blacks! OLED FTW!

fhtagn

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
with tv technology changing very quickly, it might not be a good idea to buy an expensive branded unit. buy a "cheaper" china/local brand FHD TV today, it should run 2-3 years, no problem. By then mura na siguro 4k units. just make sure to read reviews para medyo magandang model ang mabili mo.

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »
Mukhang mura naman sila, yung mga 4K UHD HDR sets..  5 figures lang, lol. 
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Online WallyWest

« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2016, 12:50:03 AM »
Got the 32" Sharp TV I ordered from Lazada. Video is quite good though I must admit the Bravia looks way better. The UI looks a bit clunky as well... like switching to Linux after using Windows for years.

The manual/box says it has dbv t2. So does this mean I just buy an antenna and it'll pick up digital TV broadcasts?

Got it on sale for 8k, btw.

Tapatalked

Offline motion55

« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2016, 01:12:39 AM »
Our local digital broadcast is ISDB-T. The rest of S.E.Asia uses DVB-T and the default tuner for most sets specially the low end.

8K is really cheap. Add 1.5K for an ISDB-T STB.
"Set your mind free!"

Online WallyWest

« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2016, 01:27:46 AM »
Our local digital broadcast is ISDB-T. The rest of S.E.Asia uses DVB-T and the default tuner for most sets specially the low end.

Oh, so I guess that feature is pretty useless. Anyways, we still have non-HD cable at home so no need for the box.

Tapatalked

Offline ris

« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2016, 06:11:10 AM »
Got the 32" Sharp TV I ordered from Lazada. Video is quite good though I must admit the Bravia looks way better. The UI looks a bit clunky as well... like switching to Linux after using Windows for years.

The manual/box says it has dbv t2. So does this mean I just buy an antenna and it'll pick up digital TV broadcasts?

Got it on sale for 8k, btw.

Tapatalked

my sharp lcd tv which is older than my sisters sony is still working until now

Oh, so I guess that feature is pretty useless. Anyways, we still have non-HD cable at home so no need for the box.

Tapatalked

buying a tv plus is really a good buy.  especially now that its selling at 1.5k.  we bought ours for 2.5k before and it still feels worth that price.  the video quality is above nonHD cable but i think below HD cable.  and i think it has hdmi connection now

Offline motion55

« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »

Tapatalked

At least, you should had your cable STB upgraded to HD.
"Set your mind free!"