Author Topic: All about LED/ LCD HD TV's  (Read 5464 times)

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
Re: All about LED/ LCD HD TV's
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »
A couple of years back you would be lucky to get PhP 1k per inch

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk 2

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2016, 02:09:50 PM »
Our Sony Bravia 32" LED is starting to have display problems. Horizontal lines across the upper part of the screen and now the screen turns purple/green and out of focus (like watching a 3d screen without the glasses) when the set warms up after about 10 seconds from power up.

Got the TV last 2012 or early 2013 (I posted it in this same thread). Not even 4 years have passed. I just hope repair won't be too expensive. Already got too many expenses lined up this month til next year.

How long do LED TVs typically last without breaking down? Is it worth repairing or will this be the beginning of a series of components going kaput?

Tapatalked

Offline bravoexo

• PeopleSoft
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2016, 01:51:44 AM »
Our oldest is from 2011, a Devant 32. No problems so far with it.  Repairing it really depends on budget/cost.  You'll probably get a newer and better and bigger set for little above original cost nowadays.
i7-3770k, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Dominator Platinum 16Gb DDR3 1866 C9, GTX ASUS ROG Strix 1080 SLI, Crucial M4 mSATA 256Gb, Crucia MX100-512Gb SSD, Spinpoint F1 1Tb x 2, Barracuda 2Tb Green x 3, LG E2442V x 3, GMX 2.1, HAF-932, M2 850W, MCP355, Apogee GTZ, BlackIce GTX360, G502, AVerMedia LGX, Vantec Dock

Offline ris

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2016, 04:08:52 AM »
Our Sony Bravia 32" LED is starting to have display problems. Horizontal lines across the upper part of the screen and now the screen turns purple/green and out of focus (like watching a 3d screen without the glasses) when the set warms up after about 10 seconds from power up.

Got the TV last 2012 or early 2013 (I posted it in this same thread). Not even 4 years have passed. I just hope repair won't be too expensive. Already got too many expenses lined up this month til next year.

How long do LED TVs typically last without breaking down? Is it worth repairing or will this be the beginning of a series of components going kaput?

Tapatalked

i think it would be better if you just bought a new one.  the price you paid for the 32inch could probably get you a 50incher now.  and if you want to buy a new 32inch LED tv it would just be around 10k.  so it seems to make no sense to repair an old tv.  unless of course if the problem is just capacitors since theyre very cheap.

i have an LCD tv here that is still working fine.  lol
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism
To steal from many is research

Offline lahar

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2016, 05:30:52 AM »
The 32 Panasonic LCD I bought in early 2010 is still good. Though we have since bought a 46 Westinghouse in 2012 and a 60 Samsung in early 2016. Uohrade ka na lang, that 32 has a max res of 720 anyway.

Offline ris

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »
The 32 Panasonic LCD I bought in early 2010 is still good. Though we have since bought a 46 Westinghouse in 2012 and a 60 Samsung in early 2016. Uohrade ka na lang, that 32 has a max res of 720 anyway.

the other 2 tvs are also working until now?

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2016, 03:14:08 PM »
My 42" Panny plasma still going strong. Bought Dec2009/Jan2010.  Hooked up to ITX haswell i3 rig running OpenELEC.

Can't wait until OLED price drops to PhP1k/inch, but this might take several years with only LG making them.  Seems Samsung is heading towards quantum-dot LED displays though.
<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2016, 03:23:34 PM »
Looks like I just got unlucky with my purchase. I'll bring it to a service center and decide from there whether to fix or replace/upgrade.

Tapatalked

Offline lahar

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2016, 06:30:30 PM »

the other 2 tvs are also working until now?

All still working, well the Westinghouse remote is broken so were using a universal remote. But otherwise all are soldiering on.

Offline ris

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2016, 01:23:36 AM »
Looks like I just got unlucky with my purchase. I'll bring it to a service center and decide from there whether to fix or replace/upgrade.

Tapatalked

i just noticed that your tv was a SONY.  lolz!  just wanted to mention that my sister also had a 32inch bravia(i think it was still lcd).  it just wouldnt turn on one time and it was just less than a year old.  so we got it fixed via warranty. 

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »

Tapatalked

i just noticed that your tv was a SONY.  lolz!  just wanted to mention that my sister also had a 32inch bravia(i think it was still lcd).  it just wouldnt turn on one time and it was just less than a year old.  so we got it fixed via warranty.
Yeah. I believe we bought it at around the same time while it was on sale at all appliance stores. It's on this thread actually. Well, now we know why it was on sale. At least hers broke within the warranty period.

Tapatalked

Offline ris

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2016, 01:52:07 PM »

Tapatalked

Yeah. I believe we bought it at around the same time while it was on sale at all appliance stores. It's on this thread actually. Well, now we know why it was on sale. At least hers broke within the warranty period.

Tapatalked

lol!  led na din pala.  same thread.  hahaha!

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
fhtagn

Offline motion55

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »

Tapatalked

Yours is displaying the same symptoms of my first ever LCD TV, also a Sony Bravia 32". I asked around and the problem was a defective LCD panel. Mine lasted over 5 years. I bought another Sony 40" when they offered it on sale for 1/4 the price I paid for my first LCD. I am still using it now another 5 years later.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2016, 06:02:52 PM »

Tapatalked

Yours is displaying the same symptoms of my first ever LCD TV, also a Sony Bravia 32". I asked around and the problem was a defective LCD panel. Mine lasted over 5 years. I bought another Sony 40" when they offered it on sale for 1/4 the price I paid for my first LCD. I am still using it now another 5 years later.

That's depressing. I was hoping it was just some loose solder or drifting components.

I'd better have that confirmed this weekend while there are still TVs on sale.

Tapatalked

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
Now is a good time to grab a plasma TV IMHO. Sets should be cheap now because they're "obsolete".

Offline jorussic

• Moderators
    • My LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2016, 10:42:39 AM »
Now is a good time to grab a plasma TV IMHO. Sets should be cheap now because they're "obsolete".
Limited FHD offerings though.

Offline motion55

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2016, 11:18:31 AM »
That's depressing. I was hoping it was just some loose solder or drifting components.

I'd better have that confirmed this weekend while there are still TVs on sale.

Tapatalked

I actually attempted to fix by disassembling the LCD and cleaning and reheating the IC parts in case of cold solder joints without success. I then disconnected the ribbon cable from the main controller to the LCD panel. I noticed that the same area of blurred display still persisted. That's when I concluded the panel itself was busted.
"Set your mind free!"

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2016, 11:24:50 AM »
Limited FHD offerings though.

Plasma's been FHD for ages, just don't pick a low-end model.

Offline motion55

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »

My brother-in-law had or were sold the same idea. He bought a Samsung plasma 40" or 42" about 2 years ago. He complained it ran quite hot unless he reduced the brightness. They were using it when suddenly something blew inside the TV set.
"Set your mind free!"