Author Topic: Documentaries worth watching  (Read 21533 times)

Offline Ulysses

Re: Documentaries worth watching
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 03:21:38 AM »
Has anyone watched Chris Ryan's Elite World Cops?

Elite World Cops is a television series starring former SAS soldier and author Chris Ryan. Ryan travels the world meeting some of the worlds most elite police units. The format of the show usually involves Ryan training with the unit, observing tactics and hardware and comparing them to his own experiences in the SAS.

Episode 1 - Junglas
JUNGLAS, Ryan joins a special police unit in Colombia who are trained to operate in the jungle. After training he is invited to take part in operations locating and destroying a cocaine lab in the jungle and supervising civilians destroying coca plantations and providing them with protection.

Episode 2 - BOPE
BOPE, short for Batalhão de Operações Policiais Especiais, Rio de Janeiro's special weapons and tactics team. The operation involves a visit to some of the town's favelas or slums where the police are trying to take back the streets from drug dealers and gangs

Episode 3 - SUNKAR
SUNKAR, Kazakhstani police special unit. Training involves CQB, Close Quarters Battle, training and using many pieces of old Soviet hardware including the BTR-60 Soviet built APC or armoured personal carrier, and RPGs. The operation involves stopping drug traffickers trying to smuggle heroin through Kazakhstan and the arrests of a group trying to harvest a cannabis plantation.

Episode 4 - BOA
BOA, Poland's SWAT team tasked with operations that the normal police can not handle and since September 11 also tasked with counter-terorism. Training includes fast roping and explosive entry to buildings as well as helicopter extraction. During the real operation the team, including Ryan, are ordered to storm a house and detain an arms dealer that is believed to be living there.

Episode 5 - Magav
MAGAV, Chris joins the MAGAV (Israeli Border Police) Elite Counter-Terror Undercover Unit called Yamas, which operates in a Palestinian controlled cities and territories, tracking and arresting terrorists in different ways.

Episode 6 - STF
STF, Ryan joins the Special Police Task Force of Sri Lanka, in their fight against the Tamil Tigers. He learns stragetic driving, and urban warfare in the jungle. He goes on a mission to track down and arrest two Tamil Tiger scouts on a watchpost, and a small scale training operation involving the use of C4 in a warehouse.

Episode 7 - POLICIA FEDERAL DE MEXICO
POLICIA FEDERAL DE MEXICO, In Mexico the crime rate is so high, most of the police is army and combat trained, to survive the rage and aggression of the street gangs. Ryan joins a special task force of the federal police of Mexico, on their hunt for gangs and local drug labs. He is also involved in a large training exercise involving a Boeing 777-200ER in a hostage situation.

Could be good instructional material for our SWAT/SAF teams.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2010, 09:15:47 AM »
Just finished watching BBC's Time series presented by Michio Kaku

Galing! Old knowledge made interesting, and new research mixed in as well.

*spoler* Wala palang aging/death gene? Aging = caused by gradual cellular damage. (Nutritionists/Healthy living proponents can look at us and gloat at this point, but they'd be right) I suppose that explains the woman born in the 1890s that he interviews. From pre-new-world-order buhay pa! */spoiler*
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 09:56:31 AM »
Just finished watching BBC's Time series presented by Michio Kaku

Galing! Old knowledge made interesting, and new research mixed in as well.

*spoler* Wala palang aging/death gene? Aging = caused by gradual cellular damage. (Nutritionists/Healthy living proponents can look at us and gloat at this point, but they'd be right) I suppose that explains the woman born in the 1890s that he interviews. From pre-new-world-order buhay pa! */spoiler*
OMG MICHIO KAKU!!! LINKS PLEASE!!! :lol:

OT: Actually, may aging genes. Too complex to discuss here, suffice to say, around next year there will be technologies to switch off the aging genes and turn on youth genes. I saw the animal experiments myself early this year. While this i not immortality, as the lead researcher says, it's a way to make one enjoy fully his or her life even at an advanced age.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »
Those 'anti-aging' genes are actually genes that help the body's self-repair processes. It's in the documentary. The important thing is, while we have a program that builds us to maturity, there is no program, in our body that tells us to 'grow old and die'. (Parang Saiyan sa DBZ! Mature to 30, and stay there forever).

Basically that happens when nasty stuff like free radicals crash into our cells, and slowly damage the DNA that tells them how to function in the first place. After enough damage is done, the cells don't even know how to repair themselves, hence the aging effect.

Now, there are experiments on mice, worms and other small animals where changing a single gene can extend the lifespan by up to 6 times, but this is not the 'death clock' gene we imagine. Rather, those gene changes tend to focus on making the body's self-repair systems better, or more resilient. In this case, we seem to be at a place where we can speed up evolution. Instead of waiting for that gene to change of its own accord, we have the power to 'toggle' it, as a programmer or engineer might say.

I'll PM you the link. It's awesome!

fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
Thanks man!!!

Now, there are experiments on mice, worms and other small animals where changing a single gene can extend the lifespan by up to 6 times, but this is not the 'death clock' gene we imagine. Rather, those gene changes tend to focus on making the body's self-repair systems better, or more resilient. In this case, we seem to be at a place where we can speed up evolution. Instead of waiting for that gene to change of its own accord, we have the power to 'toggle' it, as a programmer or engineer might say.

Ah, what you said is similar to what I witnessed. What I saw was an experiment with mice and monkeys. One group was fed with a "special" diet, the other was not. After some time, at the equivalent of what a man would be in his 70's, the mice fed with the special diet appeared more youthful (more active, more clean) than those who were fed normal diet.

I wish I had videoed it. It was damn exciting. I think they are now in the phase of testing humans. The chief scientist said he already tried it, and he said he got his mojo back. :lol:

It's being researched by a certain private company and Harvard U.

Offline jojitb

• http://
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
National.Geographic.Giant.Crystal.Cave.PDTV.XviD.MP3.MVGroup.org.avi

real-life Fortress of Solitude. lupit!

Offline goma

• Use only as prescribed..
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2010, 06:19:37 PM »
I'd almost be willing to give my left testicle to explore that cave and of course the fabled Lechuguilla system. The crystal cave will soon be underwater again, now that the mine that keeps pumping the water out will stop their pumps soon.

Offline wheelee

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2010, 02:13:49 PM »

Online Mr. Bungle

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »
"This Is War" aka "Severe Clear"

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 09:50:31 AM »
anybody know where I can dl nat geos cyberland
specially the episode with lineage 2 hehehe

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
anybody know where I can dl nat geos cyberland
specially the episode with lineage 2 hehehe
Napanood mo kanina? :lol:

I just finished watching History Channel's Ancient Aliens Episode 1 of 6. Fascinating. Requires an open mind to appreciate it, but is certainly thought-provoking. It's one of those what ifs that may actually be true.

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
@seph yup, only caught half of it thats why I'm looking.

Offline popoy

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2011, 03:39:28 PM »

meron na 720p nito, FTW!
shit happens.

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 11:23:10 AM »

meron na 720p nito, FTW!

It's been available in 1080p right from the start.
Wasn't too impressed with the visuals TBH. Power of the Planet, now that docu will blow your eyes.
fhtagn

Offline surgeon general

• CTS V6 Direct Injection AWD
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
American Swing.

meron pa rin nito kalat kalat.  i remember one of my friends in NJ invited us.  i said no, ty, nobody is screwing my wife but me.
Daddy Gamer, MD

Offline splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2011, 06:54:57 AM »
BBC Horizon: How to commit the Perfect Murder

fscking disturbing!
fhtagn

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2011, 11:28:37 AM »
the truth behind zombies
saw a commercial hehehe seems interesting

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2011, 01:54:49 PM »
the truth behind zombies
saw a commercial hehehe seems interesting
ahem. link please!

Offline waway

• swabeng unggoy
    • blog kuno
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:40 PM »
^still looking, posted here in hopes somebody has hehe

Offline Ulysses

« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Waste Land
http://www.wastelandmovie.com/
“...the SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE of documentaries, an inspiring, deeply moving crowd-pleaser!” - The Huffington Post

Smokey Mountain of Rio de Janeiro.