Author Topic: Android thread  (Read 113009 times)

Offline barurutor

• Moderators
  • The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.
Re: Android thread
« Reply #1440 on: August 03, 2017, 05:56:30 PM »
Yup, install Better Battery Stats (no rooting required) then re-do your overnight test.

<insert witty saying or hobby specs here>

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1441 on: August 03, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
yes, i misread. :lol:

thanks for pointing that out

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #1442 on: August 04, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
finally getting 7.1.1 on my phone :)
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1443 on: August 14, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
finally did a factory reset and wiped the cache. hopefully, those will solve the problem because if not, then a battery recalibration may be the last resort, and i'd rather not do that because it's time-consuming and could damage the battery.

addendum: the phone also recently got the slow recharging battery problem, that's why i got frustrated enough to try a factory reset.

update: the reset and wipe did nothing to improve battery life and charging time. i'm gonna try the optimization tips here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/zenfone-3/how-to/bad-battery-life-nougat-check-t3590819

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1444 on: August 15, 2017, 05:28:31 AM »
From experience, slow charging is usually due to a damaged usb cable. It may look fine on the outside but the pins may already be worn or bent and you just can't see it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1445 on: August 15, 2017, 05:49:21 AM »
if that's the case then Asus charger is really fragile. i leave it at home and i don't even coil it. my Lenovo A800's charger lasted longer. i think you are correct because last night i thought my battery charging problem was gone because i was able to recharge the phone fast, but then this morning it went slow again. so there might be some damage in the cable.

do i need to buy just the USB cable or do i buy a new plug too? thanks!

update: i did the optimization tips described in the link on my previous post, and overnight the battery drained around 34%, which made battery drain worse than ever.

on a side note, that's the reason why i am unenthusiastic about buying gadgets these days: too many problems and shortcomings that lead to my dissatisfaction. but i had no choice with regards to buying a new phone. my Lenovo A800 was already experiencing errors and lag and the power button seems broken.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1446 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:00 AM »
If the problem is intermittent, then it's most likely just the cable. My asus' usb cable didn't last long either.

I've had good experience with Bavin cables and chargers. One way to preserve the cable is to lay the phone and cable flat on a table.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1447 on: August 15, 2017, 07:00:18 AM »
is Bavin available in malls? a quick google search reveals it's available at a specific location and online shops. i'll buy a cable and charger set just to be sure.

i am starting to doubt that battery recalibration will solve my phone's problem. factory reset was the most recommended and sometimes, like in my case, it doesn't work. seems like it's a software problem, since the problem just appears when one upgrades the phone to Nougat.

i tweeted Asus Ph if they knew about the problem and there's no response. i'll give them a call later to ask a rep personally.

Offline WallyWest

« Reply #1448 on: August 15, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
Better go back to the older rom although a downgrade is usually trickier to do.

I see Bavin chargers being sold in cellphone stalls. You'll probably find it at sm cyberpoint or whatever the equivalent is in atc and festival mall.

By the way, aside from the cable, it could be the phone's USB port too so you'd probably be better off trying a new cable first. Matibay naman ang mismong charger ng asus, yung cable lang ang sablay kasi pareho kami ng anak ko na may first-generation zenfone at parehong buhay pa mga charger namin.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1449 on: August 15, 2017, 08:41:38 AM »
ok, got it. will look for it later at Festi if my schedule permits.

if it's the USB port that's broken then i'm likely screwed.

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1450 on: August 15, 2017, 04:50:18 PM »
i replaced the cable. i have been observing the recharging times for a few days now and note that only the last 10% takes longer than normal. takes nearly a whole hour. that wasn't be behavior before all these problems occurred. any ideas why? thanks!

Online theDUD3

« Reply #1451 on: August 15, 2017, 07:52:59 PM »
^ did you buy a fast charger cable - capable of 2.4A or higher?
Ryzen 7 7100 | Fatality ASRock X370 Gaming K4 | 2x8GB TridentZ RGB 3200 | GTX 980 Ti 6GB OC | 250GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD  + 4TB Storage | 27" Dell U2713H @ 2560x1440

Offline lahar

« Reply #1452 on: August 15, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
i replaced the cable. i have been observing the recharging times for a few days now and note that only the last 10% takes longer than normal. takes nearly a whole hour. that wasn't be behavior before all these problems occurred. any ideas why? thanks!
Try charging via those 220V power strips with USB ports. I noticed in my Nexus 7 it takes a whole day to charge using the stock charger. But it only takes 3-4 hours with those strips.

Sent from my P01MA using Tapatalk

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1453 on: August 16, 2017, 03:17:23 PM »
^ did you buy a fast charger cable - capable of 2.4A or higher?
i didn't know it has to be "fast charger" cable. this one i bought seems just a plain one.

Try charging via those 220V power strips with USB ports. I noticed in my Nexus 7 it takes a whole day to charge using the stock charger. But it only takes 3-4 hours with those strips.
i'll consider that if battery calibration doesn't work.

i'm in a nothing to lose situation, and since the battery's been drained to 60% this morning, i decided to try battery calibration.
i'm gonna follow the steps here.
https://beebom.com/how-to-calibrate-battery-on-android-device/
is that legit? seems to be in line with many calibration guides i have read.

--edit--
i'll follow this instead. seems more legit.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-how-to-callibrate-battery-device-t3308554

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1454 on: August 17, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »
finished calibrating. problem persists. i guess i'll have to live with this problem till it gets fixed or i buy another phone, which is not in the immediate future.

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #1455 on: August 17, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
ouch, sorry to hear that. hopefully a software update from asus in the future will help improve battery life.

however, selling it while your unit is relatively new is still an option then you can just buy a better branded phone.
Make yourself heard
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1456 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:09 PM »
yeah i sure hope Asus fixes this. or i figure how to. i installed a software called Carat,which should report apps that are buggy and significantly consume more energy than others, but i have to wait another few days or so for it to figure out which ones.

the phone continually feels warm to the touch (thermometer says it's 39-41 degrees) which leads me to suspect something's hogging power. battery drained 10% in just 2 hours and it was just on idle. sheesh.

i cannot, however, sell this in good conscience. i consider it broken.

on a side note, when i was at the shop where i bought the phone to buy the cable a couple days ago, there was this guy who was in the process of buying ZF 3 Max 5.5, same as mine. i was struggling on deciding whether or not to warn him about the problems, but he was already handing out cash. after he left, i asked the sales ladies about the problem with my phone. they HAPPILY (as in with smiling face and twinkling eyes) explained that the Nougat update does consume more battery life. i calmly told them they should have at least warned me when i bought it and the guy who just bought the phone, which stole their mirth.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
fhtagn

Offline Sephiroth

« Reply #1458 on: August 18, 2017, 06:45:04 AM »
thanks, but i already tried that and it didn't work.

i suppose i could have the phone RMA'ed. do i have to factory reset to clear my personal data?

--edit--
damn. now i remember why i bought a new phone: my old lenovo A800 gets error messages and crashes. i don't have a spare phone to use while the ZF is under RMA.

i guess the next best solution (or compromise) is for me to buy a powerbank or two.

curse this zenfone max. it's not doing what it's supposed to do, which is have long lasting battery.

Offline dean

• Administrator
« Reply #1459 on: August 18, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
powerbanks have become rather affordable these days so i guess bringing one around might be a good temporary solution until asus gives a software update that fixes the problem.
Make yourself heard