Author Topic: Smart Bro - brokeback no longer  (Read 2230 times)

Offline altec

Smart Bro - brokeback no longer
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
So i applied for a smart bro yesterday afternoon -almost evening, and the contractors came this morning and i have internet connection before noon. Straight and simple. Life need not be painless huh?!

Wow. And to think this was the dsl provider that f*cked everyone so badly some years back and almost got hit with a class action suit... 

I've been observing the DL speeds for some 6 hours now:

A few notes:

1. I re-did the wiring from the canopy to the pc. The contractor's work wasn't exactly sloppy, but i didn't think it'd hold up to a typhoon. And I thought cat5e shouldn't be subjected to almost right angle bends, tight loops, and a hot roof. I redid the grounding too. 

2. The contractor guy had an "oh shit" look in his face when he realized I'm using linux and no vista/xp installed. (3rd encounter daw with linux in 2 years of work.) Worth a small chuckle, pero automatic dhcp lang naman kelangan.

3.  Smart bro is only 386kbps. Mas sulit ang digitel, only it's been offline for 4 effin weeks now. I'll be maintaning subscription to both just so i have a back-up connection. Time for a load-balancing router...   

Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
Re: Smart Bro - brokeback no longer
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 05:48:41 AM »
I applied for smartbro 1.5years ago (and still using it 'till now)... hinde ko pinakinggan yung mga reklamo ng mga tao. i'm desperate to have internet at my place at cavite. lo and behold. for 1.5years bilang sa isang daliri ang problems ko...

it actually depends on the place.

btw. my download speed jumped from ~40kbps to ~65kbps after 3months (IIRC) of usage upto now...
jeremypv

Offline wheelee

• This is a test of the emergency sound system....
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:19:16 PM »
i think they have found a CURE
what is love? baby don't hurt me, no more.

Offline pythonista

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 12:27:01 PM »
Hmmm this got me thinking again. The rantings held me back from subscribing so many times.

Offline reel

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
have been a SmartBro subscriber for the longest time, since November 06 pa. had one physical connection problem back in the rainy season of 07, have been doing 512kbps constant ever since.

as to agree with jeremypv, id bet it has always been about the location, how the antenna to base tower connection performs. provided that you get great signal strength, everything should be okay.
Save Earth. Eat Plastic.

Offline ViperXTR

• "Time Fades even legend...
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 06:55:59 PM »
in my case ala naging speed problems, ala din kasi choice hehe, me time na umabot pa nga ng 1MBPS connection 0_0, ano kaya nangyari nung time na yun? siguro mga 1 week din na ganun hehe.

EDIT: even when heavy rain strikes like this very moment, still maintaining the advertised speed (384kbps), also, me multiple na  magkakatabi pang SmartBro user din hehe, were all using the same base stations.
viperxtreme.deviantart.com

Offline dongdong

• ŽD
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 07:59:54 PM »
My SmartBro is borked right now.

A few days ago, I was pleased when I noticed my downloads suddenly went from ~45KB/s to ~65KB/s.  Suddenly, the day after that, my connection is whacked.  Speedtest and Testmy still both give me 512Kbps ish speed ratings, but my downloads barely go above 15KB/s.  Every site loaded slow except for some rom site.
~"I do not have to regret anything. I started the whole pack. I was the boss of a marvelous pack. "~ -Akela, the Lone Wolf

Offline bodol

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 09:44:28 PM »
@dong2
it depends sometimes also on the bandwidth speed of the source file. sometimes i get below 10kbps, sometimes above 200.

PLDT wireless broadband subscribers surpass DSL subscribers
http://technology.inquirer.net/infotech/infotech/view/20080510-135760/PLDT-wireless-broadband-subscribers-surpass-DSL-subscribers

Orlando Vea, chief wireless adviser of Smart, said the company is using its third generation (3G) mobile network as a vehicle to offer wireless broadband services in the country.

3G mobile network - is this new? I mean - did SmartBro not use 3G before?

Offline X3ME15

• Moderators
  • Render Me This, Decode Me That!
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 10:30:44 PM »
2. The contractor guy had an "oh shit" look in his face when he realized I'm using linux and no vista/xp installed.

LOL! :lol:

my dad will be getting a smartbro pre-paid subscription, probably its the right time to get one anyway

but mas gusto ko parin wired.. di ko naman dinadala yung desktop pc ko eh.. :D

"Love is Bliss, Thus is Desolation" - a lover's gripe with humanity | "Patience is Like Foreplay.. The More You Wait, The More Pleasing It Will

Offline jeremypv

• jeremypv.net
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43:17 PM »
@dong2
it depends sometimes also on the bandwidth speed of the source file. sometimes i get below 10kbps, sometimes above 200.

PLDT wireless broadband subscribers surpass DSL subscribers
http://technology.inquirer.net/infotech/infotech/view/20080510-135760/PLDT-wireless-broadband-subscribers-surpass-DSL-subscribers

Orlando Vea, chief wireless adviser of Smart, said the company is using its third generation (3G) mobile network as a vehicle to offer wireless broadband services in the country.

3G mobile network - is this new? I mean - did SmartBro not use 3G before?
the Motorola canopy uses proprietary wireless protocol, and this is the one that is used by smartbro, but the newer smartbro (like the prepaid) uses a 3G modem, instead of the canopy, so it's definitely 3G
jeremypv

Offline altec

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 06:13:50 PM »
ISP throttling is in da house... i get full bandwidth late in the evening but 7pm below it's consistently this:

Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Guruphils

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 12:50:33 AM »
I would have to agree for some lucky few smart is a nice bro

i think i got 6Mbps on speedtest then.
Athlon II X2 250 / OCZ 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2 Gold Edition / Sapphire Ati HD 4850 512MB / Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Mouse / OCZ Behemoth Regulator Mousepad / NZXT M59 Case

Offline dom_08

• Moderators
  • Dom Dycaico
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 01:30:58 AM »
i'm still in the 300kbps range. :(
but i think our smart bro is around 2 years old.

should we ask for an upgrade?

Offline Guruphils

• Semi-Newbie
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 02:04:41 AM »
i'm still in the 300kbps range. :(
but i think our smart bro is around 2 years old.

should we ask for an upgrade?

I guess Smart should see more companies are giving out more bandwidth and perks for the same price. Digitel in our area is offering 1Mbps plus a free landline for the same price of 990. I tested our neighbor's digitel and true enough they're connected 900 Kbps. Their price is like 2 years old now. either they increase bandwidth for free or lose profits soon.
Athlon II X2 250 / OCZ 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2 Gold Edition / Sapphire Ati HD 4850 512MB / Microsoft Sidewinder X5 Mouse / OCZ Behemoth Regulator Mousepad / NZXT M59 Case

Offline giMhik

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41:26 AM »
Yes, even Globe has 1Mbps for 990php. A friend has it for a week now. I feel Smartbro is just making fun of us. I'm seriously considering switching when my contract expires soon.