Author Topic: Perpetual Car Thread  (Read 650331 times)

Online splerdu

• Veterans
Re: Perpetual Car Thread
« Reply #6800 on: March 23, 2018, 04:31:49 PM »
My car had a whole bunch of minor scrapes and bruises when I was learning to drive. Lightly clipping a wall or a post with the rear fender while backing up, curbing a wheel, etc. After a while I got comfortable enough that driving became much like walking. There's an awareness of where other cars are and what their drivers want to do that it's easy enough to know when to make a move or stay out of the way.

My last accident was in March or April of 2007. Since then I haven't gotten a single scrape or ticket while driving. Of course that doesn't stop silly mistakes from happening, like closing the trunk while holding keys in my palm = scraped trunk lid. D'oh!
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #6801 on: March 23, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
Last fenderbender and most memorable was in 2009. My airsoft team was going to an event at Km. 18 (Tet Offensive yata yun). Nakapila kami sa tollgate, I was in gear and as I reached for my wallet I let go of the clutch and bumped the Innova in front of me. Damage was superficial but the owner claimed his backing sensor was busted and was being unreasonable and hotheaded. The enforcer suggested we come over to the police station to sort it out. Of course since our car was full of guns and we were all wearing some sort of BDUs it was a complication we could do without. Fortunately, the enforcer calmed the guy down and he accepted a promissory note.

But the most traumatic which until now I probably have PTSD over is a near accident I had along the Gensan-Kiamba highway. We were on a fieldwork and we rented a car. I drove as I was the only one with a license, the road was awesome and we were cruising at 100km/h. But I was sleepy and dozed off, luckily my shotgun rider pulled the wheel as we were off the road for a few seconds and nearly hit a man. Ever since I was never comfortable nor able to sleep in a running car, especially when riding shotgun.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6802 on: March 25, 2018, 02:16:04 AM »
fhtagn

Offline lahar

« Reply #6803 on: March 25, 2018, 08:18:17 AM »
Anyone tried the Park and Fly parking at Clark Airport? P90/day lang talaga?

Offline altec

« Reply #6804 on: March 25, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »
Sensitive topic for sure, but i for one thinks that it's time to move on from jeepney designs of old. It's time to be at par with singapore or south korea...back when they were in the 70's  B) https://www.autodeal.com.ph/articles/car-features/whats-it-like-ride-and-drive-hino-modern-jeepney?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=evergreen

Btw, my (very) distant relatives used to be a "ka-socio" at mega/lanceta motors (jeepney and owner type jeepney builders) of lipa batangas before. Booming business, tapos, from what i understand, kanya kanyang nenok ng profit. Wala na. Tapos may pinatay pa...
Will never, ever buy a SONY ever again.

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #6805 on: March 26, 2018, 08:51:42 AM »
splerdu,

I still have that in my car! Transmission didn't live through a drag launch I made, though. I still lament losing that LSD.

Offline Taggy

• http://taggy.cjb.net
« Reply #6806 on: March 27, 2018, 07:32:49 PM »
Do you detail your car? Planning to be busy this holyweek..  Share naman sa mga process nyo and mga ginagamit nyo..

Magpa carwash na ako bukas (sira kasi powerspray ko) then planning to clay..  finishing compound.. wash.. apply prep. then maybe wax or just sliq.. dpende tanda na kasi ndi na gaya dati.. baka ma short cut ko proces  :lol: hahah

Offline i2mp

• Linux Mint 9
« Reply #6807 on: March 27, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »
How many fender benders/accidents have you been in? Me, 3 in 12 years of driving. One is with a motorcycle, one with a jeep, the latest one is is with a car that enroached in my lane. Nakakawala ng confidence sa pagdri drive. I drove this morning and i never felt comfortable, i was second guessing myself. Distance with the front car too large that cars behind overtake me just to take that one slot ahead. Yielding to cars and stopping even if i had the right of way, but i always have been kind to pedestrians even before that... I find no joy in driving these days...

...There's an accident in slex northbound this morning and of course even the southbound was moving at 20kph... miron/onlookers mentality. A white civic fd went past the metal railings and was 4 feet high above the ground (maybe it wedged under another car.) I may be too judgemental pero rezing rezing siguro si pogi... 

This is the first and only time I got into one. An old lady said she just took her pain med and was groggy and didn't see me when she changed lanes. Her insurance paid me $10,000 for my totaled 10yr old Rav4 which only has a value of $6K at that time.

Then 2 months after my accident, my wife was driving the new Rav, she got hit by our neighbor who wasn't looking, his insurance covered the repair expenses.

i7 6700K | EVGA GTX 980 4GB | MSI Z170A M7 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 (16x4) | Samsung 850 EVO (250GB + 500GB) M.2 SSD | Corsair H110i GT Liquid Cooler | LG BD-writer | Lepo 80plusGold G700M | Corsair C70 MilitaryGreen | TP-LINK N900 Wifi card | LG 29UM55-P UltraWide

Offline Taggy

• http://taggy.cjb.net
« Reply #6808 on: March 29, 2018, 09:10:17 AM »
ouch.. 2nd pic.. is that a mitsu?   ay i tot is an expander hindi pala.

holyweek.. sweating cleaning teh car

Offline lahar

« Reply #6809 on: March 30, 2018, 06:43:26 PM »
ouch.. 2nd pic.. is that a mitsu?   ay i tot is an expander hindi pala.

holyweek.. sweating cleaning teh car

I'm doing some engine bay cleaning. Punas-punas lang, but saw some grease on the oil catch tank and decided to take it apart. Di naman puno, but the baffle (pan scrubber) I put in is sopping wet with oil. Since baklas na might as well clean and wash it up. Bukas yung MAF sensor naman.

Offline Louie

• Administrator
  • Every end is a new beginning
    • PinoyPC
« Reply #6810 on: April 04, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »
You probably already know this but make sure to use contact cleaner on the MAF.

Offline lahar

« Reply #6811 on: April 04, 2018, 11:18:09 AM »
You probably already know this but make sure to use contact cleaner on the MAF.

Yup.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6812 on: April 11, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »
!@#!@*$(&!!!
https://youtu.be/wcvnFkPzhg8

Coincidentally, this is exactly how my last driving accident happened 11 years ago.
fhtagn

Offline calvin

« Reply #6813 on: April 11, 2018, 06:44:50 AM »
!@#!@*$(&!!!
https://youtu.be/wcvnFkPzhg8

Coincidentally, this is exactly how my last driving accident happened 11 years ago.

And I just experienced this too a couple of months ago... I was heading towards the Libis Tunnel when the idiot made a sudden stop and backed up towards the left lane - so he could exit right.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6814 on: April 12, 2018, 07:11:46 AM »
All sorts of cool stuff about past and present Toyotas

http://media.toyota.co.uk/product_info/?vehicles=toyota-archive-vehicles/
fhtagn

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #6815 on: April 16, 2018, 08:41:05 AM »
any thoughts whether the VW Jetta Highline is a good buy?
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline lahar

« Reply #6816 on: April 17, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »
any thoughts whether the VW Jetta Highline is a good buy?

I think so. Lot of kit for the price.

Online splerdu

• Veterans
« Reply #6817 on: April 17, 2018, 08:04:08 PM »
Dieselgate rejects are awesome lol

Srsly and no /s
fhtagn

Offline dean

• Administrator
    • http://www.pinoypc.net
« Reply #6818 on: April 18, 2018, 09:04:51 PM »
Make yourself heard
Portable Strobist Kit for Rent!
Includes: 2in1 shoot thru/reflective umbrella, lightstand, RF trigger/receiver, 8pcs AA sanyo eneloop, nissin di622, gel filters

Offline borgy_t

• jobless
« Reply #6819 on: April 19, 2018, 10:44:05 PM »
thanks guys. dad-in-law bought one this week, blue silk color. saw it earlier and it was drool-worthy
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming Ultra | Palit Super Jetstream GTX 1060 6 GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Mushkin Reactor 1TB | Asus VZ239H | Corsair VS550 | Tecware Alpha | SteelSeries Rival 300 | SteelSeries Apex M500 (Cherry MX Blue)